Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer map program

Default computer map program

If you had to choose a mapping program, which program would you guys buy? I have the old Alaska topo program. I'm looking into upgrading to a newer prgram.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

check this out it works pretty good, you can use your gps with and its free: www.jdmcox.com

I have the garmin mapsource, as well as the garmin bluechart software. I really like them both.

Default GPS?

Is this for use stand alone or with a GPS?

Garmin has just released a new version of Mapsource TOPO that has updated topographic maps with a LOT of new detail. Really good program, and while you can view the maps on screen, it is really intended to be used to download or upload data to a GPS (maps, waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would use this on my home computer. Though I would like to have the option to hook my garmin up to it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Garmin interface

Gary,

I'd speak to Gary Bennett over at Northern Lights Avionics on Merrill Field. He knows more about GPS than anyone I personally know.

I've been using both Maptech and the National Geographic programs on my Macintosh computers and both seem to work well. You can create tracks, measure distance along paths, 3D view, elevation gain, etc. You can get Maptech in the bookstore here, but I'm not sure about National Geographic.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Gary,

I'd speak to Gary Bennett over at Northern Lights Avionics on Merrill Field. He knows more about GPS than anyone I personally know.

I've been using both Maptech and the National Geographic programs on my Macintosh computers and both seem to work well. You can create tracks, measure distance along paths, 3D view, elevation gain, etc. You can get Maptech in the bookstore here, but I'm not sure about National Geographic.

-Mike
    Thanks. I have seen both at Tidal wave and at sportsman warehouse.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default old program?

Which old topo program. I have Delorme Topo Quads 2.0 on dvd, (beats 6 cds) however I think they now have a 4.0 out.

I got the new Nat Geo Topo for Alaska. It is a must have for here, you can print nice maps to take with you, it also has a Game unit overlay that shows the GMUs, handy little add on.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Which old topo program. I have Delorme Topo Quads 2.0 on dvd, (beats 6 cds) however I think they now have a 4.0 out.
    12 disk set is the one I have
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have both the new mapsource and the Nat Geo topo software. Of the two I plan my hunt with the Nat Geo software! 1:24K where the mapsource is 1:100K. The Nat Geo definately has the highest quality maps but I get annoyed that you can't grab the map with a "hand" tool and move it like you can with the mapsource software or google earth. Aside from that the detail makes it arguably the best on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ...I've been using both Maptech and the National Geographic programs on my Macintosh computers and both seem to work well. You can create tracks, measure distance along paths, 3D view, elevation gain, etc. You can get Maptech in the bookstore here, but I'm not sure about National Geographic.

-Mike
    Mike-

Are you Boot Camp-ing the Maptech software, or is that MacENC or GPSnavX?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default GPS and topos

Hi Guys:

Here is my 2 cents on the subject of maps.

I have a Garmin 60c, its 4 years old but has most of the bells and whistles. It also comes with a map/topo program-Mapsource. Its is very nice as I can print nice color topo maps for clients and it allows you to zoom in very tight to really see the topography. I can also pre program way points and routs on my PC and down load them on to the hand held for use in the field, boat or sno-go. Itís sweet and would recommend it to any one who is partial to Garmin products.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I got the new Nat Geo Topo for Alaska. It is a must have for here, you can print nice maps to take with you, it also has a Game unit overlay that shows the GMUs, handy little add on.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I have talked with some folks at ADFG and I believe they reported some inaccuracies with the GMU boundary set. Have you heard anything about that, or have you asked about it yet?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Maptech on a Mac

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Mike-

Are you Boot Camp-ing the Maptech software, or is that MacENC or GPSnavX?

-Case
    Now that you mention it, I think I was running it on a Titanium Powerbook, running Virtual PC and Windows 95. I think that is correct.

I dunno how it would work with boot camp. I am running new gear now, so it would be interesting to try. Haven't been on it in a while.

-Mike

I have the new National Geographic Topo ( I also have the old one), how do you get the GMU to overlay?

I really like the National Geo too. Mine is three years old I think, and I don't have the GMU overlays. If they are accurate (a question obviously after Mike's comment), they'd be a really slick addition. I don't know how many times I've worked back and forth between topo and separate GMU. Plus, I buy the one piece laminating packets to seal my printed maps, but I always have to print a topo map and separate GMU if I'm hunting close to a border. I'll also print a Google Earth map too.

Boy I strayed off subject. I like Nat. Geo. Nice to plot camp locations, emergency stash locations, travel routes, game locations, and other good stuff on electronically saved maps for later ref or sharing with other folks asking for information about an area.

I got the GMU disk free at Sportsman Warehouse when I bought the Nat Geo Topo program. I have not heard about errors in the boundaries, although I would not doubt it. Still a nice tool to use at a glance.

Steve

Default Hmmm-

Quote Originally Posted by 79FSJ View Post
    Here is a link for the GMU overlays
    http://www.trailsillustrated.com/top...fm?fileid=2793
    Hello 79 (sorry, I don't know your name)-

Can you vouch for or against the accuracy of the GMU overlays? I'd hate to send someone something like this without knowing if it is accurate... could get someone in legal trouble.

Always verify!

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast