Thread: Laketrout recipes?

Default Laketrout recipes?

Caught my first lake trout aT hidden lake about 2 weeks ago,and frankly take pride in my fish and game cooking skills.But i was not happy with my laker when i steaked it out and grilled the 7 lb bugger.Any advise?

Thumbs up cooking that trout

After cooking numerous lake trout in different ways, I have come to the conclusion that if you really want to taste it like it should be, roasting in the oven is the way to go.
    Using whole fish (less head and tail) open up belly side and put down on foil covered cookie sheet. Split fish down backbone and insert onion, garlic, butter, salt and pepper.
    Bake at 325 degrees for an hour (give or take depending on size of fish).
    This is not only delicious, but also very easy. Enjoy!

I have been guiding lakers in the North West Territories for 15 years and have plenty of recipes.
    My favorite is: Dave's Texas Trout
    Fillet trout leave skins on and slash the meat at 1" intervals from top to bottom starting at the head end. Next pour on a generous amount of liuid smoke. Follow with hickory and mesquite smoked salt, spicy mesquite seasoning and tex mex seasoning. Now on the barbeque over medium high heat place skin side down and cover with tin foil, cook until fish flakes and serve with baked beans and potatoes. I usually cook this over an open wood fire on the shore.
    Bonappetit

Default I bake 'em too

I agree with Gary, but with a twist. I Take my lakers and place them in a tray I make from heavy duty aluminum foil. Into the VERY CLEAN (always makes a difference in taste) gut cavity, I sprinkle seasonings such as garlic salt, black pepper, and maybe some other spices, along with several pats of butter and a few pieces of onion. On top of the fish I sprinkle the same spices, and I too make slices along the length of the fish to absorb flavor. I put butter on top too, as well as onion slices, and lemon slices. Around the fish I pour water and lemon juice (and sometimes white wine).

I place this on the top shelf of my grill, and bake it on a low setting with a few hickory chips for flavor. About 15-20 minutes is enough. Almost any kind of fish turns out moist and flavorful this way.

I was up there yesterday and today. Dead as can be, but the ice is still drivable.

Default smoked?

Every smoke lake trout? I'm about to do it tonight so stop me if it's a mistake...
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Should be good!

Being an oily fish, it should make a very moist and tasty product. Go for it!

Cold smoke, or hot?

Default Smoked Lake Trout

I pretty much smoke all my Lake Trout because they are so oily.
    They are excellent smoked.

Default Hot smoked I suppose, that's the only way I know how

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Being an oily fish, it should make a very moist and tasty product. Go for it!

Cold smoke, or hot?
    Hot I guess, I've never cold smoked anything. I spent over half the summer learning how to smoke salmon to the way I like it last summer. There are sooooo many recipes for smoking fish, but the problem is none of the recipes describe how the finished product is. I think that's why you end up having to experiment so much.
    I'll smoke it the way I have learned with salmon I suppose. I have some tuna from Oregon and some yellowtail from mexico and some red fillets leftover that I'll smoke along with it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.