Thread: Rebarreling in state

Default Rebarreling in state

A thread got me thinking the other day. Is it possible to buy a ruger alaskan 20" bbl in 375 ruger from the factory, have a gun smith locally put it on my ruger mkII m77 in 300wm? I already have a nice aluminum bed hogue stock on it, although kinda heavy compared to a regular one which I would check into that is made for the .375 ruger so I don't break this one.

It seems like it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new gun and selling the one I have. I am a one rifle kinda guy. I am just not sure if I have to buy a custom bbl or if factory bbls are available. I like the trigger so basically just swap the bbls and whatever else would need improved. What do you guys think? Who in anchorage does rebarrelling?

Easy enough to find out. Call Ruger and see if they will sell you one. But I am betting they will only sell you one if they install it.
    However, you can buy any aftermarket barrel and have a local smith chamber and install it for you.
    Tennessee

Rebarreling a rifle will typically run around $500.

If you find a takeoff barrel somewhere it can be half that.

It may be cheaper to save up and get a 375 ruger and be a 2 gun hunter if you really like the rifle you have.

----

If I get a 375 ruger I am thinking of getting a stainless montana rifleman action with a 26" barrel.

--

I once had a 270 winchester Rem 78 rebarreled. I went to WWG and bought one of their takeoff barrels and had them swap the barrels. Total cost was $180.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Stan jackson would be the one Id call for the install....

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

The last I knew Ruger does not sell too the general public parts that need to be installed by a gunsmith. Brownells is the only scource that I personally know of that sells Ruger barrels and those are actually barreled actions only.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Stan Jackson could rebarrel it for sure, BUT.

The question I would have is, would the 300 WM cartridge feed from the magazine designed for 375 Ruger? How do the case dimensions compare?

Also, what about the case head? If they aren't the same, the bolt face would need to be changed.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The case head is the same.

He is looking to rebarrel a 300 WM to 375.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

If you go to the expense of a re-barrel, I sure would not put a factory barrel back on. Just box it up (barreled action only) and ship it out to Pac Nor in Oregon. You are pretty much assured to get a rifle that really shoots that way.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Lilja is definitely worth considering.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/about/default.htm

Default Thanks for the info guys

I checked out the sites and sounds better just to buy a new gun. I don't think I will. My 'ol ruger 300wm is just fine and for now will do, atleast until spring blackie passes. That ruger alaskan sure is a sweet package. Thanks for the info and insight.

Default .375 ruger

I have a pac nor barrel in .375,24 inch,1in12 twist,2.5inch shank,threaded for 98 mauser,set of hornady dies,100 270g accubond bullets.Rethread for Ruger,Probably end up with 23 inchover all.PM Me if interested.

I'd just sell the rifle you have (or better yet, keep it!) and get the new Ruger 300 RCM.

Default Ummmm?

Quote Originally Posted by AKbum View Post
    I have a pac nor barrel in .375,24 inch,1in12 twist,2.5inch shank,threaded for 98 mauser,set of hornady dies,100 270g accubond bullets.Rethread for Ruger,Probably end up with 23 inchover all.PM Me if interested.
    For some curious reason you have neglected to post a PRICE on your for sale advertisement?

Its on swap and sell, 450.00 for all or 375.00 for barrel.