Thread: Where can I get unleaded without the hiway tax

Default Where can I get unleaded without the hiway tax

Gas is going to be high enough. Where can I get unleaded in Anchorage without paying the highway tax?

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I looked into that a few years ago, I was told that there was a marine tax on gas that was about the same as the road tax,diesel was a better deal. The three fuel supply places I called are Columbus @ 277-0531, Petro @ 344-4571 and Suburban @ 272-7581.

Default Road Tax Fuel

I wonder if you can buy barrels of fuel direct from the distributors for use in remote generators and atv's ect with out having to pay a road or marine tax.

I buy heating fuel / diesel from Fisher's in Big Lake, comes out of the same pump that you fill your power stroke up with, I fill my own drums in the back of my truck and haul to the cabin. However if you go inside to pay they take the tax off the total.

Not sure if there is a deal like that for unleaded or not.

Default There used to be

We used to buy our fuel from Inlet Petroleum with out the tax. THat has changed since 9/11. I checked again last winter and he told me that if I am buying HUNDREDS of gallons, it might be available. I did buy 200 gallons, but at Carrs with the .10$ off deal.
    It seems like one of you rich guys would sue them to make the fuel available for us broke dicks. (Who them I am not sure, but it is a regulation now)
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

You can still get a rebate from the State. You have to keep your reciepts and send in a form, so it's not as convenient as paying up front without the tax. But, it doesn't look like dealers are allowed to sell fuel without collecting the tax any more. Here's an excerpt from a publication on the State tax site:

Non-highway Use of Fuel
    A person who uses fuel in an internal combustion engine may be entitled to a refund of part of the motor fuel tax paid if the following conditions are met:
    1. ē the person has paid Alaska motor fuel tax on the fuel,
    2. ē the person does not use the fuel in aircraft, or in or on watercraft, and
    3. ē the person does not use the fuel in an internal combustion engine in, or in conjunction with, a motor vehicle licensed to be operated on public highways. For example, fuel used in a refrigeration unit attached to a truck is not eligible for the partial refund.
    A person claims a refund by filing a Claim for Refund (Form 04-544). This form must be filed no later than
    one year after the purchase of the fuel. See separate instructions.
    Note: A dealer must charge the full amount of tax on fuel intended to be used for non-highway use and report the sale on the motor fuel tax return. Only the consumer may claim the partial refund.

And here's a link to form 04-544...
    http://www.tax.alaska.gov/programs/d...wer.aspx?1149f

By the way, there is still a tax on marine fuel, it's just less than the tax on highway fuel. So there's a "partial" refund available for fuel used in boats.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Marine fuel tax

The "silver lining" in purchasing your boat fuel at marina fuel docks is that your tax comes back to you as a boater. The tax is collected nationwide and goes into the Wallop-Breaux fund, which is divided up amongst the states for boating safety programs and access (ramps, etc.). When you fill up at a roadside station, the road tax goes to build highways & infrastructure. I'm guessing that any method that you use to avoid paying tax and using it in your boat might be illegal? My concern is that the price of fuel is so high that boaters might forego regular maintenance as a means to save money and there will be even more problems on the water. SE Mike

I was not able to open the Alaska link you posted. But in a nutshell, how much per gallon can you expect to have refunded back if you file a return for it?
    Tennessee

Sorry for the bad link... I'll try again.

clicky

Page 2 references the non-highway rebate program.

And here's a quote from the rebate form regarding how much is rebated...

Non-Highway Use
    AS 43.40.030 authorizes a refund of 6¢ per gallon for highway fuel not used in or in conjunction with a motor vehicle licensed to be operated on public ways. A 3¢ per gallon refund may be claimed for marine fuel used in non-licensed off-road vehicles.

Bottom line is, on-road fuel is taxed 3¢ higher than marine fuel. So, if you buy your boat fuel at your corner gas station before heading to the water, you are entitled to a partial credit of 3¢. If you use your gas in a snowmachine, four wheeler, lawn mower, or chainsaw, you can get a 6¢ credit. If you buy gas at a marina and use it in your four wheeler, you can get a 3¢ credit.
    Last edited by Rod in Wasilla; 03-17-2008 at 19:08. Reason: added more info

how much of $3.29 a gallon is tax?

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    how much of $3.29 a gallon is tax?
    I don't know how much of that is total tax, but if you buy highway gas and put it in a boat, you are entitled to a 3 penny per GALLON refund. It doesn't matter if you paid 1 dollar or 5 dollars for that gallon. For me, it doesn't seem worth the paper work. If I burn 500 gallons in the boat this year I could get $15 back. IF, I didn't lose any of the receipts. At $3.29/gal that same 500 gallons will cost me $1,645.

Default Tax Rate

Here is a site that details the taxes:

http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/motor_fl.html

In summary, it looks like it is 8 cents for AK and 18.4 cents for federal tax, for a grand total of 26.4 cents per gallon. If you are using diesel, then you get to pay an additional 6 cents per gallon, for a grand total of 32.4 cents per gallon. What I could not find was the reason why diesel is taxed at a higher federal rate than gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    ...What I could not find was the reason why diesel is taxed at a higher federal rate than gasoline.
    Maybe because big commercial rigs do more damage to the highways, and they are the largest users of diesel?