Thread: Dry Fly Floatant

Default Dry Fly Floatant

What is your favorite dry fly floatant and why? I am also looking at silicone type solutions to use on dry flies when they are new (before they are fished). I used to use this stuff called Nu-Kote and it worked great. Soak them, then lay them out on a paper plate overnight. I would still use a little Gink or simlar product on the water. The stuff worked great but I can't find it anywhere these days. I have also heard that "Scotch Guard" on new flies works "reel" good too. What do use use?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    What is your favorite dry fly floatant and why? I am also looking at silicone type solutions to use on dry flies when they are new (before they are fished). I used to use this stuff called Nu-Kote and it worked great. Soak them, then lay them out on a paper plate overnight. I would still use a little Gink or simlar product on the water. The stuff worked great but I can't find it anywhere these days. I have also heard that "Scotch Guard" on new flies works "reel" good too. What do use use?
    I've always been a gink guy but am curious as well. THe biggest thing I've found wiht Gink is to keep it warm or else it goes on like vaseline. I usually keep it in one of my front pants pockets under my waders, but as I dig for it the guys next me to wonder if I've got an itch or somethin

the stuff with the bead chain to attach to your lanyard or vest, daves floatant maybe?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It's not recommended, but I've always used Scotchgard. You have the luxury of coating the part that you want to float. It has worked very well for me. I spray them after the head cement dries while they are sitting on a "foam" wheel.

Water shed works very well as a pre application. Scotch guard also works but not nearly as well. There is a couple other sprays that do ok also....rain and stain from payless, and one I can never remember the right name but I always call it camp dry. It's not that though....similar stuff.

On the water I prefer a paste instead of the silicon based gink or othe similar products. Even in the cold the paste works very well. It's about the same as your dubbing wax and I'd really bet that would work if you cant find it. Dab a bit on your finger as you would in dubbiing (well I do anyways, helps keep control of the material, but dont use to much), and barely rub it on. Don't gooop it on though it'll matt things down. If you do this, it's pretty easy to stroke it out without ruining a fly if it's been tied with quality materials!

The paste will last you a very very very long time of hard use! Usually loose it before I go through it. Also there is no film on the water if you apply to much.