Thread: Racks

Question Racks

I am getting my ATV set up for hunting season and was wondering if most of you leave your racks stock (flat), or do you put boxes or cages on the racks to make carrying items easier? Also do you use a gun boot, carrier or do you keep your rifle on your back? Any setup tips are appreciated.
    Patrick

PatrickH gotcha on AT.

I leave the racks stock and load them to the gills when i use it for hunting and I highly recommend a gun boot to keep your gun clean. I have seen MANY people just throw the rifle on their back and go and after a full day of riding/hunting they look like they were thrown in a mudhole. If you like your rifle you will put it in a boot.

Sportsmans warehouse has a waterproof/weatherproof rack bag big enough to hold 2 extra gallons of gas and alot of other stuff for $34. Don't reccomend putting anything that can get damged easily in there though. Definitely go with a gun boot

I have a rear rack bag that works decently. I dont use a gun boot. I put my rifle in a water proof soft case and strap it to my front rack. I rolled my buddies 4wheeler with a gun boot on it and I got hung up and went for a short ride. Granted it wasnt set up (adjusted) for me but its still in my head. My wife uses a gun boot though. I always use a meat wagon when hunting so I throw most of my gear in it. I've thought about getting a gun boot but havent yet. The way I strap it down, I can get a rifle out just as fast as if I was using a gun boot. I never tried the robin hood thing, it just doesnt look comfortable.

Default Boxes and gun boots...

I use both. Contico makes a line of boxes that work GREAT! They are called Tuff Boxes. Wal-Mart has the "SUV" model which works great for the front rack. I'm not sure if they are carrying the big one that I use for the rear.

Definitely go with a gun boot or case of some sort. I used the handlebar mounted "Bandit" gun holder for my 10-22 once and it took me over an hour to get the mud out of the scope and action! Here is a pic of my front box and my gun boot -

Last edited by AKmud; 08-01-2006 at 08:25.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Kolpin gun boot for sure. A friend of mine had a Browning automatic shotgun strapped across his front rack one time. He didn't shift into a low enough gear on a very steep incline and rolled backward off the trail into a tree. His shotgun had a u-shaped barrel after that.

A gun boot is very important and makes it easier to get to your rifle, Trust me, it is possible to jump off your ATV and shoot a moose in 15 seconds! As far as racks and bags I am partial to action packers or those smaller metal boxes they put in the bed of trucks (3 feet wide). I tried a expensive soft bag last year and they lose there shape. Besides loaded racks remember that a meat wagon is **** near a requirment if you are making a long hunt.