Thread: Sheep Opener ?

Default Sheep Opener ?

Does opening day of sheep begin at 12:01 A.M. Aug 10 or 3:00 A.M.?
    I know if you fly in on the 9th you can't shoot until 3:00 A.M, but what if you are in on the 8th?

Default Check official sunrise for that day.....

for the area your hunting.

Fly on 8th your good to go on at 12:01 am Aug 10 sunrise rule considered.

Default Sunrise Rule?

Have no idea what the "sunrise rule" is that you mentioned.

I could be totally wrong but I don't believe there is truly any closed hours due to sunlight or lack thereof once a hunting season is open. Of course one must use their best judgment and keep safety in mind when deciding when to shoot but to my knowledge the state hasn't further restricted hunting hours around sunrise/sunset.

As far as I know the "sunrise rule" that many states use is pretty much covered by our artificial light rules. If the reg says aug 10th the once my watch puts the 10 in the little window I go from camping to hunting!

Many a sheep hunter has killed their ram right after the clock struck midnight and 12:00 AM rolled around. Its got nothing to do with sunlight or sunrise, its the date.

I would say that it's usually too dark to safely shoot a sheep at midnight on the 10th, but one year I was up and climbing at 2:00am on opening day and found that I had plenty of moonlight to see everything around me. Under such conditions I wouldn't have hesitated to take a midnight shot.

Its pretty light out in the Brooks at midnight Brian, plenty of light to shoot with. In the Alaska range its also doable but you need to be in position at the midnight hour ready to shoot, and you'll be cutting and packing into dark fo sho! I would imagine as you get further south in the state it gets a little darker at midnight.

Default we're not duck hunting

if you can see it at 12:00:01...shoot it.....that is unless you flew the 9th
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Yes if you flew in on the 8th you can shoot at 12:00.00 AM on the 10th.

If you flew in one the 9th you have to wait til 3:00.00 AM on the 10th
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Its pretty light out in the Brooks at midnight Brian, plenty of light to shoot with. In the Alaska range its also doable but you need to be in position at the midnight hour ready to shoot, and you'll be cutting and packing into dark fo sho! I would imagine as you get further south in the state it gets a little darker at midnight.
    Didn't think about ranges further north, but I'm sure you're right. I was in Southcentral, so midnight is pretty dark by then.