Thread: Looking to Plan a trip in Summer of '09

Default Looking to Plan a trip in Summer of '09

Hello,

I am new here so bear with me. I am a college senior attending the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. I'm majoring in Fisheries Biology. Upon my graduation my dad and I are looking to do an Alaska fishing trip. My biggest desire is to tangle with a big Kenai King. I'm an avid musky fisherman here in WI so I'm no stranger to big fish, but would really love to tie into a monster king. I've caught my share of kings here in WI off of Lake Michigan as well as in the rivers when they run here. I would also like the opportunity to fish multiple other species such as Hallibut, sockeye, dolly's, and maybe a rainbow or three. I've done some digging a bit on the internet as to places we'd like to go to. I came across this site and must say I'm pretty impressed in comparison to some of the other sites. http://www.greatalaska.com/

Has anyone had any experience with this place? Or are there some other places anyone would recommend? Any information/advice anyone would like to provide for me for our search would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Bolinski

Default Additional King fishery

I know the Kenai is a great fishery but So is Clear Creek. I went last year with Matsu salmon charters. It was cheap $120, and the fishing was great. I caught a 41 pound king and saw plenty more. Very good experience. Good luck!

Default Its all about your buget

You can spend a lot of cash if you want or you can find a small cabin to stay in then do lot more ventures. You will get more for your dollar. Do a combo trip in the saltwater for halibut then go after kings on the same trip. We have done well with the bid kings in june-july by the anchor river. Anchor point area offers what I am talking about. And its not far from homer or kenai river. You can find good guides for a reasonable fee. http://www.clivesalaskafishing.com/ guides for combo trips
    expotrera.com/natureventures cabin rental

Default Remote Float Fishing

A great trip that lets you see what Alaska is all about is a float trip for kings on the Talachulitna River. Hitaluga Guide Service provides a 5 day trip and everything but your fishing gear and clothes at a great price. You can drive down to the Kenai Penn. for saltwater fishing before or after. Check out the trips at www.hitaluga.com . There are lots of photos of the kings on the photo page.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointerpride102 View Post
    Hello,

I am new here so bear with me. I am a college senior attending the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. I'm majoring in Fisheries Biology. Upon my graduation my dad and I are looking to do an Alaska fishing trip. My biggest desire is to tangle with a big Kenai King. I'm an avid musky fisherman here in WI so I'm no stranger to big fish, but would really love to tie into a monster king. I've caught my share of kings here in WI off of Lake Michigan as well as in the rivers when they run here. I would also like the opportunity to fish multiple other species such as Hallibut, sockeye, dolly's, and maybe a rainbow or three. I've done some digging a bit on the internet as to places we'd like to go to. I came across this site and must say I'm pretty impressed in comparison to some of the other sites. http://www.greatalaska.com/

Has anyone had any experience with this place? Or are there some other places anyone would recommend? Any information/advice anyone would like to provide for me for our search would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Bolinski
    Hi Mike....for what you're looking to catch, mid-July would be a good time. I go up every summer at that time for 2 weeks and we've always caught plenty of kings, reds, bows, dollies, halibut, sea bass, lings....etc.

I stay at a place right on the Kasilof River and have always had a great time. Tom Ferguson is the owner and he's got 2 of the nicest, most secluded cabins I've seen up there. His place is pretty central to everything on the peninsula so it's not a bad drive to get anywhere from Hope to Seward to Homer....and all points in between.

His website is: http://www.betterfishing.com/

There's a lot of info on the site but if you want more details from me just shoot me a private message.

ps - If you do decide to go in that timeframe (where ever you decide to stay) make your reservations VERY EARLY. The good places fill up up to a year in advance.

Sounds like you are interested in big Kenai Kings.... Highly recommend the last two weeks of July... You could rent a boat or hire a guide. Either way you want to fish from a boat for kings in the Kenai. Off hours can be very rewarding if you have the right gear and some knowledge of the river and king fishing. It is certainly not cheaper to buy all the gear and rent a boat opposed to hiring a guide.

So, big kings time frame is last two weeks of July, halibuit can easily be taken in that time from from Homer, Deep Cr, or Seward. Dolly fishing is very good on Southern Pennisula streams begining in early august and much better on the Kenai towards the end of August along w/ the better silver fishing through out the region.

So, again Kenai big kings, halibuit, Seward silvers, and Russian River and Upper Kenai sockeye are my recommendatoins to get four out of the five great things you are looking for in you the last two weeks of July. Both rainbow and dollies are available in this time frame and the best fishing for them would be on nearby Quartz Creek.