Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you 'repay' someone on this forum?

Default How do you 'repay' someone on this forum?

How do you 'repay' someone on a forum where everybody knows more than you?

Ive joined about 7-8 fishing forums in my life. I used to live out east and joined a few there, I lived in BC for a few years so I joined a few there as well. This year, I am moving to San Diego, so I joined a forum there.

Just a few weeks ago, I found out that Im going to Alaska so I joined this great forum. However, I am only visiting, so I feel like I cannot contribute to the forum as much as locals can, and I feel like Im only 'taking' by asking questions.

Im just wondering if there is anyway I can 'repay' all the members who have helped me out.

The only way I can imagine is by posting all of my results with pictures. I know I love reading other peoples reports especially when there's a video or some pictures.

Anyways, Im on this forum like...3 hours a day reading through old posts etc. I just wanted to know how to contribute more.
    I bought books if that helps

I'll send you my address. You can mail me $500, no wait, $1,000, no wait, I think that by posting your message you just repaid us. Dang.

Default Its the thought that counts

A simple thanks would be more than enough.

I know I take more than I give too.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default photos, dude...

just post some pics of you grinnin' like a fool with your catch(es).

Beer. Dark. Plentiful.

Default Repayment

You are absolutely correct... the best payment is a report with pictures of your trip...

I think I speak for most, if not all on this forum when I say that it is my/our pleasure to help you fulfill the trip of your dreams....

Don't be shy about asking questions either...

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    You are absolutely correct... the best payment is a report with pictures of your trip...

I think I speak for most, if not all on this forum when I say that it is my/our pleasure to help you fulfill the trip of your dreams....

Don't be shy about asking questions either...

Good luck
    A big DITTO to what guides said and all the others. Cash is good, Beer is great.

Really though, as a long time resident of alaska I have always enjoyed helping out the fellow fisherperson who has taken the time to ask questions. So many people are on the trip of a lifetime and helping to make that dream come true is a great feeling. No matter if it is helping them on the web here or on the river. To see that person catch the fish of thier dreams always puts a smile on my face.

So share lots of pics, and of course there is always some great stories to go with the fish so share that too.

Other than that all I ask is pack out what you pack in. So smile a big cheesey grin for all of us and share those pics
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Paybacks...

Your hanging in here and asking questions is payment enough. A message board forum that operates as effectively as this one is based on questions and answers. There are lots of questions and there are lots of answers. None of knows everything, but all of us contribute to assist fellow anglers in helping them to make decisions.

The locals are terrific with on-hand information. Even the out-of-towners (like me) add in if they've been around.

It's a good mix and a great forum.

I've observed none better and that's payback enough...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Thumbs up A couple of suggestions

Well, my boat needs a good stem to stern swabbing. Next Saturday I will need some Kings cleaned. (Oh dang, look, the boat got all bloody again!) A little later there will be a jag of halibut that won't fillet themselves. Come Sept there is the little moose butchering job that seems to always pop up. Can you skin a grizz?

When anybody asks a question, it opens answers for all to read. Just throw in your 2 cents worth once in awhile and it's even.

If you are short the 2 cents then I am going to have a bear bait barrel that will need attending....
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Do the same for other fishing folks where every you go.

Arrow

A simple thanks on here is certainly appreciated. Many of us Alaskans love to help out, and many here like me were in your same shoes not too long ago (although I moved here, not just visited).

Another way to thank those of us on these forums though, at least those of us from Alaska - respect the land when you get here. Pick up your trash, and others' too if you see it. Give the bears plenty of distance. Respect other anglers while here. Give them the distance they need to get their fish landed, and if tangles ensue, look at it as more of a chance to get to know someone up close rather than an opportunity to use your 'bowling words' on them. Unfortunately, a lot of non-residents - and a lot of Alaskans to be honest - can't seem to follow these basic, friendly guidelines every summer. Be one that does, and the folks here will be more than happy to help and share.

Hope you have a great trip up here.

Default Pass it on...

If you enjoy the sport of fishing, passing on the information you have received will be the payment. You will no doubt find yourself knowing more and more over the next year or two. When you run across some new guy that asking stupid questions, take the time to straighten him out. The more we know about things, the more enjoyment we get out of it. I lived in NW Alaska for two years and get back to Alaska a few times a year on little trips here and there and float trips in the Fall. But you can see that I am from North Carolina. I knew about the same as you when I first found this forum 3 years ago. Through the time I spent in Alaska and the insights from generous posters here on the forum, I slowly found my way. Now I find myself asking less questions and offering more answers. It is a natural progression we all take. To make a long story short, you want to "pay back"? Teach others what you learn.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    just post some pics of you grinnin' like a fool with your catch(es).
    second that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Repayment

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    How do you 'repay' someone on a forum where everybody knows more than you?

Anyways, Im on this forum like...3 hours a day reading through old posts etc. I just wanted to know how to contribute more.
    I bought books if that helps
    Use 2 1/2 of that 3 hours teaching a kid the joy of fishing, Then send us their pictures.

So,

I figure Im going to clean someone's boat, then Ill pay someone, then Ill buy another a few pints, then...skin a bear??

DONE!!!

Well, maybe not, but I sure will post A LOT pics and detailed posts. Im 28, gonna be 29 a few days into my Alaskan trip, but Im gonna be like a 10 year old at xmas during my first cast.

Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for all the information.

Next question:

Where can I get a solid pint of Guinness in Anchorage??? LOL

Next question:

Where can I get a solid pint of Guinness in Anchorage??? LOL
    Oh, don't do that. Guinness is fine, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do.....or when in Alaska, drink what Alaska has to offer. We've got lots of great little breweries up here, so you may as well sample the local fares while casting for the local fish. When in Anchorage, I highly recommend that you check out the Moose's Tooth and Snow Goose beers at the respective establishments. If you like dark beers, the Moose's Tooth Pipeline Stout is among the best I've had. In the stores, Midnight Sun Brewery sells some great bottled beers, including my favorite Kodiak Nut Brown Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Oh, don't do that. Guinness is fine, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do.....or when in Alaska, drink what Alaska has to offer. We've got lots of great little breweries up here, so you may as well sample the local fares while casting for the local fish. When in Anchorage, I highly recommend that you check out the Moose's Tooth and Snow Goose beers at the respective establishments. If you like dark beers, the Moose's Tooth Pipeline Stout is among the best I've had. In the stores, Midnight Sun Brewery sells some great bottled beers, including my favorite Kodiak Nut Brown Ale.
    Don't forget Glacier Brew house or my camping beer Alaskan Amber and Alaskan Oatmeal Stout.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Where did this forum come from??
    I ask about beer as a joke and actually get answers?!??! This is awesome!

You're right. Always try the local beer! Try it over and over and over and over...

Where did this forum come from??
    I ask about beer as a joke and actually get answers?!??! This is awesome!

You're right. Always try the local beer! Try it over and over and over and over...
    Get in touch when you're in town and we'll go out and sample a few. On me, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Get in touch when you're in town and we'll go out and sample a few. On me, of course.
    Is that an open offer for everyone? Cause I'm always in town.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast