Thread: twin lakes

Default twin lakes

New here first off and great site.

Anyone have info on hiking,fishing lake clark...i really would like to know if so.
    Thanks a bunch

From where? Are you planning of hiking right out of Port Alsworth, or are you looking to go even more remote?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    From where? Are you planning of hiking right out of Port Alsworth, or are you looking to go even more remote?
    Brian,looking for remote river,lake,that is wooded and can be dropped of by float plane.

Thanks

Any help in lake clark that is wooded and can be fished?
    Thanks

Good morning Cabin,
    A couple of suggestions on Lake Clark area trips.

First, check out the Lake Clark National Park website, http://www.nps.gov/lacl The Outdoor Activities link has some good general advice about hikes and trails, and some suggestions on areas that tend to be a little higher and drier than others.

I've done a few days in Lake Clark over the years. There is some good hiking off of Twin Lakes. We went out behind Dick Proenneke's cabin one day and then went down the lake (more or less west) before cutting over a low tundra pass toward the Kijik River.

There's also a nice short hike out of Port Alsworth to Kontrashibuna Lake and Tanalian Falls on about the only real, maintained trail in the park. The trail goes partway, at least, around the lake.

I've caught lake trout in Lake Clark proper, grayling in Tazimina Lake, and something a long time ago in Twin (trout?) and if I can catch fish, I'm sure others will have grand success.

Give a call out to park headquarters, 781-2218, in Port Alsworth. A fellow named John Branson has done many long distance hikes on several of the old Native trade routes. Also, look at copies of Dick Proenneke's book One Man's Wilderness as well as his journals. He died a few years ago, but in the several decades he lived out there, he covered a huge amount of ground.

The park web site can also steer you to many guided fishing/hiking operations if that's your preference.

Enjoy!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by toofewweekends View Post
    Good morning Cabin,
    A couple of suggestions on Lake Clark area trips.

First, check out the Lake Clark National Park website, http://www.nps.gov/lacl The Outdoor Activities link has some good general advice about hikes and trails, and some suggestions on areas that tend to be a little higher and drier than others.

I've done a few days in Lake Clark over the years. There is some good hiking off of Twin Lakes. We went out behind Dick Proenneke's cabin one day and then went down the lake (more or less west) before cutting over a low tundra pass toward the Kijik River.

There's also a nice short hike out of Port Alsworth to Kontrashibuna Lake and Tanalian Falls on about the only real, maintained trail in the park. The trail goes partway, at least, around the lake.

I've caught lake trout in Lake Clark proper, grayling in Tazimina Lake, and something a long time ago in Twin (trout?) and if I can catch fish, I'm sure others will have grand success.

Give a call out to park headquarters, 781-2218, in Port Alsworth. A fellow named John Branson has done many long distance hikes on several of the old Native trade routes. Also, look at copies of Dick Proenneke's book One Man's Wilderness as well as his journals. He died a few years ago, but in the several decades he lived out there, he covered a huge amount of ground.

The park web site can also steer you to many guided fishing/hiking operations if that's your preference.

Enjoy!
    John

Called the park and will be sending me info.

Do you have a ballpark on cost to twin lakes from Anchorage?

Thank's

Default New member

Hello

I am interested in going out to twin lakes for some hiking/sightseeing. Would be nice to find other people that is interested. Would be interested in 4-5 nights. I am assuming it would be cheaper with a group of people? Thanks

Lived on Lake Clark, Pike, Grayling, Big honkin'Hog Lake Trout, Salmon Runs. You'll never starve to death on Lake Clark..... Interesting history that area, 100% deaths of the people in Kijik from the 1918 flu pandemic, Only Two lived who were gone hunting.

not much info. here is an email i got from Lake Clarke Air a couple of years back when I was planning a backpacking trip out there:

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry regarding transportation for a backpacking trip in the Lake Clark area in July. A printed brochure has been placed in the mail for you.

Lake Clark Air has offered transportation for trips in southwest Alaska for over 25 years. The following package is designed using the information you provided in your e-mail. But remember, the packages is only a sample of what Lake Clark Air has to offer and can be altered to fit your schedule and desires.

CUSTOM PACKAGE
    Transportation for backcountry hike
    July 5:
    -2:30 p.m. check in for flight from Anchorage to Lake Clark. The flight to Lake Clark takes you through the scenic Lake Clark Pass, where you will see glaciers and glacial streams in one of Alaska’s most beautiful mountainous settings.

-5:00 p.m. flight to Telaquana Lake.

-Begin unguided hiking.

July 11:
    -8:00 a.m. pick up at Twin Lakes and return to Lake Clark

-9:00 a.m. return flight to Anchorage.

-Price $805.00/person (party of 5).

The actual times for flights may vary, depending on the dates you choose to travel.

The regulations for transporting stoves depends on the type of fuel associated with the stove. The best way to go is with a stove that burns white gad or Coleman fuel. The fuel can be purchased here at Lake Clark and then transported into the backcountry with you. This option gets you around some of the problems you might run into with bringing the fuel from Anchorage with a mixed load of passengers.

The above rates include the transportation of up to 50 pounds of luggage per person between Anchorage and Lake Clark, with everything over 50 pounds traveling at 80 cents per pound, each way. The package rates also include park service fees and taxes. The rates do not include voluntary gratuities.

Lake Clark Air is now taking reservations for 2007 and 2008. A 50% deposit is required in order to hold a reservation against other inquiries, with balance due 60 days before the date of your stay. The deposit is refundable up to 80% only if all cancellations are made no less than 60 days before the scheduled travel date.
    If you are planning a visit in 2008, you can take advantage of our 2007 rates by making reservations before January 1 of 2008. Rates will increase if reservations are not made before January 1 of 2008. Prices are also subject to change at any time prior to a reservation deposit being received.

Please let me know if I can be of service in any other way. You can reach me toll-free at 888-440-2281 or by e-mail at GAlsworth@aol.com. Also, be sure to check out our websites at www.lakeclarkair.com, www.alaskaphotographytours.com, and www.thefarmlodge.com. We look forward to the possibility of providing transportation for your visit to our part of Alaska. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Glen R. Alsworth, Jr.
    Manager/The Farm Lodge, Inc.
    Chief Pilot/Lake Clark Air, Inc.

I used to fly out of Lake Clark, very good fishing for lakers, as well as grayling and trout at the river confluences. Fished Upper Twin Lake where the little stream flows into the lake down from Dick Proenneke's cabin. Caught trout and the most aggressive grayling I've ever seen...were taking them #4 Mepps spinners! Oh yeah, and it's about the prettiest place on earth.

LOTS of bear in that area. Plan accordingly.