Thread: Question On A 788 Remington

Default Question On A 788 Remington

I was reading on the post about truck guns and murphy recomended a 788 remington. I have a 788 remington in 243 win. that I loaned to a boy several years ago to deer hunt with. He shot the gun with snow in the barrell and swelled the barrell. I had a gunsmith to cut the barrell off and install a muzzle brake to get the barrell long enough to be legal. Barrell was 17.5 inches without brake. I have never been satisfied with the gun snice I got it back. If this was your gun what would you do with it? Also this gun was a tack driver at one time. What are my options with this gun without spending a fortune on it.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

17.5 inches is more than legal length unless the total OAL of the rifle was under 26". 16" is the minnimum length of a rifle barrel without getting a $200 Tax Stamp for an SBR. If you want to part with it make me a deal I can't refuse as I don't have a 243 at the moment and would like one.

After barrell was cut back enough to clear buldge it was 1/2 inch to short to be legal. I was giving length by memory which may be a little short also. Had to have brake installed to make legal. I am not interested in selling because gun was passed on to me by family member. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Default get another barrel maybe

you can buy barrels cheap on the auction sites then have it rebarreled.

I bought a barrel at wild west guns for a model 78 remington. It was $100 for a stainless 24" .270 take off barrel and another $80 to get it put on.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Rebarrel probably to 7mm-08

I think you should buy a threaded chambered pacnor barrel in either 7mm08 or even 270-08.

Try to do it on your own. I would be a great project.

Spokane, Washington

Default Rebarrel

I would second a Pacnor barrel. Good barrels at a resonable price. If you want to go ACAP (As Cheap As Possible), you could go with a pulled barrel off one of the auction sites. My main concern with a pulled barrel for a Rem 788 is that it may be junk to start with. The 788's haven't been made for a while and a due to little recoil the Win .243 usually gets shot a bunch. The more I think about it I would go new if at all possible.