Thread: Haul Rd stories

Default Haul Rd stories

Well I just got back into the bow after a 10 year span of rifle hunting. I am planning on a Haul rd Bou hunt in late aug or early september this year and would like to hear any details of last years hunt or the year befores to get a feel of how the hunting has been. I have done this trip 3 times but it has been 10 years and i was 16 the last time. Did you harvested a Bou? If so what tactics? do you activley pursue or did you wait for them and ambush? Also this is my first go around with traditional long bow. Anybody got a succsess story with the Long Bow. Thanks for sharing. Also I noticed a lot of complaints about traffic, is it really that bad. I don't remember it being over crowded.

Last time I went it was not bad at all. We did not see very many caribou maybe 500 over seven days. 250-300 in one group. The rest in 1-20 animals. 2006 last week of August. Mile 60 or so.

I got mine on the second day and cut them off at the pass so to speak. 50 yard shot as they were feeding towards me.

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default 2005 Hunt

PARTNER SHOT THIS NICE BULL UP THE IVASHAK MILE OR SO UPSTREAM FROM BEGINNING OF BLUFFS IN WIDE BRAIDED AREA . PROBABLY 20 MILES FROM BOAT LAUNCH. LITTLE COVER IN MIDDLE BUT GOT CLOSE FOR 25 YARD SHOT LOST SOME MEAT AT BOAT LAUNCH THAT NIGHT FROM GRIZ IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

WAS UP THE WEEK BEFORE WITH OTHER FRIEND AND HIS SON THEY EACH RIFLED BOU. WAS GREAT YEAR. WE ALSO GOT 3 DUCKS AND ONE GOOSE WITH OUR BOWS ON THE SECOND TRIP.
    I TRY TO AVOID ROAD BY RUNNING RIVER WITH JET BOAT USUALLY SPEND MOST TIME IN ARCHERY ONLY AREA.VERY LITTLE OTHER BOAT TRAFFIC THERE.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

thanks for sharing and nice bulls! does anybody have information on the guy I have read about that runs his boat as a sevice to drop you off and pick you back up? I would like to contact him if possible. has everybody that has used him expierence been good? Thanks agian for sharing info

also if anybody is going up with there boat this fall and wants somebody else to pay them a good portion of gas let me know. I am going up with one other guy and all I want is to be dropped off and picked up away from the road so if your intrested let me know. I am not talking about driving up together just meeting up there. my partner and I are talking about the last week of august or first week of sept.