Thread: Place to take the boss

Default Place to take the boss

Ok guys, I need a good place for a fly-in meal, with the wifey. Having trouble cause the wife is not going to walk miles. Any suggestions, with in an hour or so of Los Anchorage.

Terry

Default Seldovia

Seldovia is kind of cool (across the bay from Homer). The wife and I went down there this summer for a burger. I donít recall the name of the place but it is the only place in town. The walk is about 10-15 min at a slow stroll and delightful in the summer. I do not know if it is open in the winter but you can call down and ask.
    Drew

Skwentna is another cool place. You can even get a room at the lodge and stay the night. If your just looking for quick and easy then the bar/grill at the big lake airport is fun also. Can't think of the name right now. But you can park off the runway at the threshold of 25 and walk across the road to it. Good food and good prices, just can't think of the name right now.

Ah sorry, that would be the threshold of 07. The end of 25 if taking off towards the lake. You can park in the grass by the road.

Smile food, fun........

Sheep Mt. Lodge..great food !
    Valdez, nice walk....
    Whittier, Fish and Chips ! short walk....
    Sunrise Lodge, Kenai Lake...state strip, short walk...
    Moose River, Great Pizza, Grass strip by road (cant remember name)
    Homer, Can always catch a ride to spit...great food...
    Big Lake...
    Eureka Lodge...
    Kenai..Cafe open again !

that will keep you going for a week or two, I'll think of more.....

Skwentna is Skwentna Roadhouse, Joyce... Great Food,Good Folks!

Default more food.........

Forgot...Cordova is really good day trip.....
    Eyak Lake Strip is short walk , good food....Great Coffee place on docks in summer.

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone, I think I will go see if any of these places are open today since it looks like a beautiful day to fly.

Terry

What type of plane?

CCs cafe is still open at the Homer Airport until about 2pm.

The Sunrise Cafe is close to the Quartz Creek runway. That runway gets a little mushy every now and then.

What is the name of that Cafe in Hope?

Seldovia in the summer is neat to walk around. But sometimes there is NOTHING open over there in the middle of a work day. Or weekend day, or holiday...But they have some real nice walking trails so when I take my lovely bride over we pack a picnic basket.

For a fast flight you could land at the Girdwood strip and walk over to the Double Muskey...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    For a fast flight you could land at the Girdwood strip and walk over to the Double Muskey...
    We do that every summer, but usually walk over to Chair 5 instead. LOVE Double Musky, but it's too easy to drop over $100 on a dinner for two therte. Chair 5 is a good compromise, and reachable from the airstrip with a 10 minute walk.

Agree, Double Musky is a great treat, but not for every day! You can also walk up the road and hit the Bake Shop for a Farmers Omelette, or whatever your preference.

When I lived in Girdwood I used to enjoy a hop over to Hope. Tito's is about a fifteen minute walk from the airport, if my memory serves me.

Is that place with the great pies still in downtown Palmer? I guess that isn't as spectacular a flight from ANC as Girdwood, since you can go through Crow pass and Eagle River, or Winner Creek over to Lake George.

Wasilla used to be a good fly-in eating spot with the old airport. You could park right next to the Country Kitchen or Wendy's......Louis

You can zip up to Talkeetna and everything is within easy walking distance. Not much going on in the winter, but nothing is crowded.

Thumbs up $100.00 Hamburgers..

good site but now charge for it is www.100dollarhamburger.com

we need to start something like this, keep it updated, then we know what's open, what's good and what's not........

I for one enjoy going for a run for lunch or dinner and knowing what's open and when would be great help...I know I have missed some, and have learned even from this lil. bit shared here.

Take Care

its too early now but in the summer if you call ahead you can fly to chelatna lake lodge for dinner. if they arent full they will sell you dinner. you can land on the lake or on the strip next to the lodge. havent done it for awhile but the food used to be excellent and it is as scenic as all get out.

Default Lunch is on.

Places should be opening up, going to fly to seward for the $100 halibut today.

Terry