Thread: Glacier on Dirtbikes

Default Glacier on Dirtbikes

After reading some posts here about it still being icy out at Knik, we decided to try out sheet metal screws in the tires. About $7 worth of screws (#10 hex head, 1/2" long) did the trick! Went out on Friday in the sun and were able to get to the glacier without to much trouble. The trail near Friday Creek has a lot of large puddles covered with 1" of ice. Negotiating these was a little tough (the ice would break and we would get on top of the broken plates and slide around) but the screws did great. Metal Creek has a couple ice bridges left or you can find a spot to drop in and cross. It looked like it was just over a foot deep. Jim Creek is no problem. Maybe 1' deep in the area most people were crossing.

It's a great time to get out to the Glacier!

'05 WR450F with hot grips!

Default more photos

Very cool shots! Looks pretty glazed over in that last picture. Did you have any of the screws tear out while riding?

Looks like a great ride. Can't wait to do it myself!

Great pics. I did that about 25 yrs. ago when I was a kid. The screws work very well.

The screws did work very well. I was surprised that none of them tore out of the tire. The edges have been smoothed down after the 48 mile trip but they should last for one more ride. Next season I may try out some of the Cold Cutter hardened screws and see how much longer they last.

As we were just finishing up the ride, a trooper stopped us and asked if we'd seen a white truck with a moose in the back. We hadn't seen the truck and as we left, two choppers came in (the trooper helicopter and a red one) and were searching the area. As we drove out on the old Glenn there was another trooper on the edge of the road watching for the truck. I doubt the person got out of there without being caught.

I agree, i think the hardened screw will be the ticket for sure. That sure was fun, at times I felt I got better traction on the ice than I got on the dirt. Definately have fun with that.

Sucks to be the guy in the white truck!

Great stuff! THANKS!

I used the hardened screws back in the 1985 on my RM250. I rode that bike the whole winter since we hardly got any snow for that winter. I even rode it down hardpacked snowmobile trails. I probably put 500 miles on that winter and didn't lose a single screw. On lake ice you probably have more traction than on gravel..the screws are amazing. The only issue I had was blowing fork and shock seals in cold temps.