Thread: MSR Reactor Stove

Default MSR Reactor Stove

I noticed alot of guys mentioning the stoves they use on the food for sheep hunt thread so thought I would review a new stove on the market which may have already been done here but will give my .02$ worth.
    Tested out the MSR Reactor stove last fall on several hunts. My first reaction when looking at it was that it was to heavy and bulky. After using it last year it will be my new stove in the field.
    Bulky. Yes. But the burner fits inside the pot along with a lighter and my packet of instant coffee and one msr fuel cell (the big one).
    It boils water in half the time of the jet boil stove and the pot is big enough to take more than enough water for two dinners and two hot drinks. 1.5L.
    When the jet boil came out I thought it was the end all but after doing numberous test boils with equal amounts of water under the same conditions there is no comparison. The pot sites right on top of the burner with no elivating arms so wind is not an issue but I still build a wind break which is a must for the jet boil.
    Also, the stove is so quiet you are continually checking to make sure it is still lit..
    It usually boils 1.5 L of water before I can prep mine and my hunters mountainhouse meals and our hot cocoa drinks. That is in the fly area of the tent so no wind to pull valuble heat away from the titanium which is a problem for any ti. pot. For two hunters I was easily able to get five days out of one large canister and I was boiling additional hot drinks during the day after realizing how efficient the stove was.
    The only draw back I saw was on an Oct. hunt when the themometer plummeted the canister needed to be warmed against my skin for about ten minutes to get some molecular action going to really make the stove crank. Usually when I do that with the Jet Boil it doesn't boil the water fast enough to get the job done and the stove starts to peter out from cold conditions inherent with using canistered fuel.
    Has a very handy handle built in which also acts as a closure device to keep the lid secure when not in use. Unlike some other lid retaining devises on pots this one works no matter what.
    The pot itself is titanium but is very beafy as it is double walled near the bottom and has a bunch of shallow fins built into the bottom to retain heat. It kind of looks like some sort of nuclear reactor. It would be very difficult to deform this pot when you start cramming all your other crap down in the pack.
    It poors water real well as well which was an issue for me with other pots.
    This is a spendy stove which I think runs around $100 bucks so it is an investment.
    This is now my favorite stove. There will always be a place for white gas stoves if you travels abroad or if your a pilot who has an infinite amount of av. gas at your disposal but for the guy who hunts the mountains regularly with a partner or for a guide who is taking care of one or more clients at a time it is tough to beat. You could easily do a ten day hunt with two large canisters and not worry about running out of fuel.

Default Nice work

You should work at barnyards!

Default Yep

Funny you mentioned that. I went in the other day to see if my frame packs where ready and some out of work guide working there tells me a couple more weeks. Seems like Barnyards could use some good help around that place! The bum Boob has working there now sure isn't doing much of a job. That wouldn't be you by chance?

Thumbs up Awesome stove (sometimes)...

They are great stoves for boiling water. If making Mtn House meals and coffee, you would never regret it. But that is what they are made for. Boiling water. A more versatile stove if you will be cooking anything is the MSR Windpro. I have one and would recommend it to anyone. It uses the same Isobutane cannisters as the MSR Reactor. The Windpro has the burner off to the side of the cannister, unlike many that have it directly above the cannister. That means you can use a windshield with it. That, along with a wind resistant burner, makes the Windpro my hands down favorite in wind. We float NW Alaska rivers each Fall so wind resistency is my top priority. You can simmer on this stove very easily so it is great for cooking on too. But if you are just boiling water, the Reactor or Wind Pro are both great stoves. The Reactor would have a slight edge on boiling times and effeciency. Just depends on what you are using it for. Boiling water only----Reactor. Boiling water and occassionaly cooking some pancakes-----Wind Pro. Hard to go wrong either way.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.