Thread: Montana Fly Fishing

Default Montana Fly Fishing

After a May trip to Alaska, I'm considering flying to Missoula during the 4th of July Holidays to fly fish some of the surrounding area rivers. I've only hunted out of Missoula in the Bitterroots, Clearwater, etc. so have no idea as to where to go.

Any thoughts/recommendations? Thanks
    Last edited by 8seconds; 03-15-2008 at 11:08. Reason: Asking question on Alaska forum about Montan fly fishing.....
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK
    email: smallbiz@wt.net

There are a ton of good options within an hour or so... I would recommend the west fork of the bitterroot (smaller than the main fork, which makes it easy water to read) and the north fork of the blackfoot (one of the coolest places on earth to fish). The clark fork runs right through Missoula and has some great trout fishing of its own. Rock creek is an awesome spot, but can get pretty crowded during summer months. There's also the Missouri, which has giant trout in it much like Alaska waters, but it's a couple hours away... and all the rivers a little farther east out of Bozeman (gallatin, yellowstone, madison, etc.) your options are limitless and I would recommend going to a fly shop and asking which direction to head (The Kingfisher is the popular shop, ask for Rod and tell him Mark from Alaska sent ya). I lived there for a year and miss Montana dearly. I caught trout on dry flies every month of the winter when I was there! That just doesn't happen in January in Alaska.

If I had to choose one place - North Fork of the Blackfoot no doubt... but don't tell anyone.

MW
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

have you ever read "A River Runs Through it"? Those rivers are just as productive now as they were back then.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Should have normal water levels

The snowpack is at or above average for most of Montana and the water levels should be good. If we get hot weather early the snow will go quick, but in early July the water levels should still be good.

Thumbs up

Find the Salmon Fly hatch and fish it, probably on the Rock Creek in early July. It is awesome. For the big rivers with heavy pressure think small, very small flies. Other rivers you can match the hatch. Good luck. SRM out!

Thanks Mark, I'm taking your advice and have started putting it together. I'll let you know later how it turns out....
    Buck
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

RunRiverMan - thank you for the advice.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK

Salmon Fly hatch on Rock Creek would earlier, closer to the middle of May. Agree with contacting Kingfisher, did a float trip with them and they were great. I personally had the most luck on the Clark Fork (NW of Missoula) but the Blackfoot is awesome (although harder, in my opinion, to fish).