Thread: custom aluminum console?

Default custom aluminum console?

i am thinking about having a console like attached built for my skiff. what do you think a covered console like this would cost? i'm interested in a console that is about 7' high, 3/16" aluminum, 3.5 wide, 12-18" deep. rather than a locker down below (as pictured) i would rather have shelves. the fabricator would be removing an existing center console and lean box and connecting up all the existing throttle, steering, guages, and fuse box. i'm shopping around for quotes with local welders and have one price so far.

thoughts, opinions, experiences?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

For one, where are you located?

3/16" material for a console like that is too heavy. The majority of the structure should be done in 1/8", with some structural parts heavier as required.

My quick WAG is ~16hrs + mtls is going to put you in the $2000 range, but more info about your setup is needed to nail down a more exact figure.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would think your looking at around $2500/$3000.

Default console

located in SE AK. i can have it built in juneau or sitka. i might even contact the builder in washington to see what he could do if the SE prices are wild. i have received one quote of $5k locally. that seemed a bit high too me.

structurally i dont want any rattles or movement in the covered console. i've attached a picture of what is currently in the boat. sounds like a solid structure with light 1/8" covering is a good idea. i am hoping to not lose much in speed.

another question, i'm going to try to sell the existing console and lean box. what's a good price to ask for those? i'll have to get some dimensions on the existing setup....
    Attached Images Attached Images

For $5K, I would expect it to be 3/16 and heavier, bulletproof glass, perfect TIG welds, router-smooth radius on every edge, and a mirror polish on every surface. Something between $2-3k is realistic for a typical console. The exact price will depend on how much prep work to your boat the fabricator has to do, how experienced they are with building consoles (some are faster than others), and what the cost of the outsourced items, such as the glass, comes to.

Given your location, you'll probably spend more simply due to the smaller market and lack of competition. But I'd call $5k very high.

Your old console is worth the salvage value of the aluminum at $1.40 per pound unless you can find a buyer who will offer you more for it intact.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default good info

thank you for the information. it will be interesting to see what other quotes i get.

Why don't you just add on to what you already have??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default add on

thought about that. but am thinking a wider/covered console would allow two people to get out of the weather. the current setup is okay for an average sized person but i'm taller/wider than average. the spacing between the box and the console is too tight and i just want that to go away. when im standing it's a reach for for the throttle and i'd prefer everything (wheel, guages, throttle box) be higher. having a roof overhead might also allow for some misc on top storage as well. i'd like to put my electronics up above the glass so i look up rather than down to check gps/depth.

If anyone has a custom covered center console that they wouldn't mind posting pictures of i'd sure like to have a look.

thank you for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    located in SE AK. i can have it built in juneau or sitka. i might even contact the builder in washington to see what he could do if the SE prices are wild. i have received one quote of $5k locally. that seemed a bit high too me.

structurally i dont want any rattles or movement in the covered console. i've attached a picture of what is currently in the boat. sounds like a solid structure with light 1/8" covering is a good idea. i am hoping to not lose much in speed.

another question, i'm going to try to sell the existing console and lean box. what's a good price to ask for those? i'll have to get some dimensions on the existing setup....

I'm also in Juneau. What kind of boat do you have your current console in? What size is the boat? That may help with targeting who might want to buy it.

Default console

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    I'm also in Juneau. What kind of boat do you have your current console in? What size is the boat? That may help with targeting who might want to buy it.
    the current console is in a 20 alum. skiff. if i remember correctly the console and box are bolted in to alum. floor. am actually in sitka. when i settle on a welder i'll likely list the console/box for sale locally. there's lots of tiller boats here that could use the setup (at least i hope there are!)