Thread: Using sockeye eggs for kings...

Default Using sockeye eggs for kings...

This thread is kinda a follow-up to the other egg thread. I'm really anxious to try some of those cures/recipes for curing king eggs, but the problem is you gotta catch one first to get started.
    How about using eggs from sockeyes, cured? I imagine they don't "milk" as well as some other factors, but will they work until you can get a female or am I just better off buying store bought cured eggs? Also, are the cured eggs from TW or Freddy's the same?
    Last year we spent a little cash on cured salmon eggs from TW cause we didn't have anything else and they did help us catch 2 kings (2 different days, drifting).
    Thanks,
    Jim

I've had decent luck with sockeye eggs on the Kenai. I think using sockeye eggs is kind of a change up to the normal king egg that is being fished by the majority of anglers. That being said I don't think I'd want to fish them exclusively but they definitely work.

Last year the only eggs I used were from the reds we dipped on the Copper. I can home with about 20 lbs of eggs to cure. I cured them with salt and sugar until firm, put them in containers, and mainly used them on Knik. I hooked a couple of kings and plenty of silvers later in the year with those eggs. They worked much better than the typical store bought eggs, I've never had much luck with that stuff. The eggs from reds have worked just fine for me.

When using eggs, I've used eggs from kings, cohos, chums, pinks, and sockeyes....All have worked equally well for me. However, the king eggs generally go farther just because there is more mass...

I know some places you can go to fish plants and get eggs from the slime lines....At least, I think you used to be able to...

I use whatever eggs I have on hand and can't complain. I have noticed that king salmon eggs are way more expensive than sockeye eggs at the hardware store, and people buy the king eggs. I don't know why there is such a price difference.

Default Maybe

While practically anything that gives out a scent will attract fish and provoke a bite; i.e. wd40, anise oil, garlic, etc. I believe that the type of eggs will make a difference. Yes, sockeye eggs will work and likely out-perform most commercially produced eggs at FM and the like. I think that Trusty's gets decent bait though...

Besides the milking quality of king eggs, I believe that the fish prefer the look and texture as well. I mean, think about it... you are matching the hatch so to say...

It is true that a fish will almost never see a glob of eggs in the wild, but size does matter. this is clearly demonostrated with bead fishing for rainbows or dollys. Some days we use huge beads and others a small bead, I think this can be directly correlated to the fish that are spawning at that time.

So, my preference for king is fish, in order is : King eggs, pink eggs, sockeye and then silver (really same as sockeye, but because they don't show up until after king season, it is really not practical). All will work to varying degrees; just some better than others.

Good luck

Fresh sockeye eggs cured up in salt & sugar or your preferred commercial cure work great for Kings. If your drift fishing smaller rivers you don't need that big a piece of bait. Last year I caught several Kings on just the skein or yarn. If there is still some scent the fish will bite. I also like using cured Silver eggs from the year before that were vacuum packed.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-15-2008 at 14:25. Reason: spelling

I always like the king or chum eggs for kings because of the larger sized egg.

I always like the smaller eggs for silvers.

I dont think the egg matters as much as the cure though.

Now I like shrimp more than eggs anyway.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Well,

That's some good information as there doesn't seem to be a shortage of sockeye eggs; in July I'll try some and post results; here's another question, maybe not so bright, but can you use fresh eggs without any cure?
    Thanks fellas for the tips/opinions.
    Jim

Absolutely you can use fresh eggs. I think they are better than cured eggs.

Problem is they milk out so fast and fall of the hook so fast that you would go through a ton of them before getting a salmon.

Fresh eggs are best when you are feeding fish right in front of you.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

To be honest you really should be changing baits pretty regularly. Depending on how well they are cured (or not), how fast the water is moving, bag or under a egg loop, and how long they are in will dictate just how often. If they aint milking they really are not fishing. Of course if you're short on bait fishm longer as there is still SOME scent dispersal. But like flat fishing about every 15 mn's or so I like to change a bait. So for back bouncing kings running my typical two rod setup (I wont fish more then 3 in my raft including myself), max a rod goes is 30 minutes, I prefer less.

I did buy some store bought stuff down in anchor town. Couple of the clear plastic tubs. Really they worked fine. Actually it worked very well on the deskha with my added special ingredient . You can always fine tune them, if they are a bit too juicy, lettem sit out for a bit. I dont like a hard bait for back bouncing or bottom fishing say in ship creek, but too soft is counter productive in moving water. In slow slow water, say bobber fishing on high tide in ship, a milkier set of eggs is a good thing. *note, using ship as a reference as most of us know it too welll, myself included *

And for eggs, they all work...some days one may work better then the other, or one cure over another, but they all work fine. If mass is an issue, get some yarn in the front of the eggs in the egg loop, or run a sack and use yarn to bulk it up. It (the yarn) will also hold scent longer. A good tip to use when you're getting short on bait or dont like fishing big baits forwhatever reason.

I guess I have to disagree on the size does matter thought. Really you hit it right. They dont see globs of eggs and they are not sipping one egg at a time like a rainbow, dolly, or grayling would. I do like the shear mass of king eggs though and they last quite a bit longer. But red eggs being more plentiful, easier to get and if you have to buy them cheaper, not to mention they fish just as well........It's hard to shake a blind eye to them. It's nice to match the hatch but in this case I dont think it's really needed.

If you do fish eggs, try rubber gloves. I did notice more bites *and cleaner hands lol* by doing just this. We fished it pretty hard for a few summers before I started charter fishing in southeast. Scent is one thing I never played much on. Not until recent times....the last 4 or 5 years I've played quite a bit and really noticed some things. It doesnt pay off on the easy days, really when it's good just get your lines in the water. Its the hard days where most are scratching to catch a fish and you're still coming in with smiles.

Default Rubber gloves...

I started using them last summer (really the second July that we fished for kings) on the advice of one of the guys here. He explained the intricacies of how fish smell in parts per billion compared to people. I think I'll explore more this July on curing eggs and trying sockeye eggs unit/if we get a female king. I think the 2 kings last year were caught on red eggs from TW; the king eggs were quite a bit more pricey, and we were going thru 2 tubs per trip, maybe too much, but according to tradebow, switching them out often is going to help. I think that applies to any kind of bait fishing; ocean, lake, river.
    I see that often here on Kauai when bottom fishing or baiting the buoys for tunas or mahi's.
    Hmmmm, that get's me thinking, maybe this summer I'll vac pack some cured eggs for use here in Kauai! I know these fish have never seen such a thing, but who cares? Catfish have never seen chicken livers either and that works! We often drift bait past the buoys for tuna/mahimahi. Another common method for getting bait down quickly without a weight is called "dropping stone" I'll describe it in another post.
    Jim

I just don't like the way Red eggs cure. It is harder to get the cure between all the eggs. The King skiens open up better and are easier to work with.