Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinion on fly gear..

Default Need opinion on fly gear..

Buying a new rod and reel (been out of the fly fishing game for a while)

I'm buying a 5wt Sage FLi rod and a Ross Cimaron reel.

I plan on using the rod for dollies, trout, pinks chums...Will probably get a larger rod for kings in fish creek.

That going to be a decent setup? Anyone have any expierence with the rod and reel?

I haven't used those brands, but both are quality companies. IMHO you picked a good weight.

Default fine

I have a 6wt Sage Fli with a Ross Cimarron Large Arbor. It is perfect for bows, dollies and reds. I have even used it for silver a couple times but that was pushing it.

Trout, dollies, and pinks will be just fine on the 5wt but I would be careful with the chums on that rod. I have Sage 4wt through 9wt and love 'em. I have caught a 35 lb king on my 4wt before but I was lucky to not have broken it. I would be using at least a 7wt or maybe even a 9wt depending on the water conditions for chums and silvers.

great first setup... Won't turn chums to well though, not that it matters, they are a dime a dozen
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

8wt be good for Peterson steelhead and Fish creek kings?

Also, whats the difference between a larger arbor reel and a regular reel?

Whats the benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post

Whats the benefit?
    In response to your first post, I don't have experience with that particular Sage rod, but overall, Sage rods are quality rods. Building an Xi2 right now in 8 wt. I think Ross' are pretty decent. They always seemed a little loose to me, not sure if that accurately describes it or not. I tend to like the Teton reels.

As for a large arbor vs. a regular arbor - the "arbor" is the center of the reel and is what the fly line and backing wrap onto. So a "large arbor" is just that - that post is much thicker (not sure if it is a standard 2x or 3x of the "regular arbor or not, but much thicker).

Benefits? With a larger base for your line/backing to wrap onto, the pickup of the line is a bit quicker. I.E. you pick up more line on each revolution of the reel, and thus, can reel fish in quicker, at least theoretically.

But, there is a downside too. Take a 5 wt. reel for example. The overall size of the reel is going to be the same for a regular or a large arbor, the only difference being the thickness of the post that the line wraps around. So if you have a much thicker post (arbor), with the same size reel, this equals less line/backing. This is why you will often see a reel that will advertise as being able to hold a particular line, plus say 200 yards of 20# backing. But, that same reel in a large arbor may only hold line plus 125 yards of backing, or less.

How does that matter? Depends on what you are fishing for. If it is an 8 wt. rod that you are going to use for pinks, and say reds down on the russian river where you can't let them run far, having less line/backing won't matter. Take that 5 wt. you've got there and hook into a large 'bow on the Kenai, and he may run you out of line/backing and spool you very quickly if you are not running enough backing.

Good luck.

Default JMG Good Info

Don't want to look like I am sharking a post but the data JMG tossed out is spot on.

On a side not check your PM One Lung Might be able to save you a buck ot two if your willing to do a little leg work.

Blue Moose

Thanks for all the feedback thus far from everyone....I've definately learned a lot more than I ever knew

Cant wait for this fishing season...Gotta get back in the game

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Don't want to look like I am sharking a post but the data JMG tossed out is spot on.

On a side not check your PM One Lung Might be able to save you a buck ot two if your willing to do a little leg work.

Blue Moose

Shot ya 2 PM's back

IMO the 5 wt is a good option for the fight but the problem is in the cast. If you are casting larger leeches, beads with decent sized indicators or corkies etc. The 5 wt is just a little light to huck these well unless your form is perfect and the wind is light. One small streams it would make little difference but on larger rivers you will find yourself short on distance needed to get to that spot you don't dare wade out too. I prefer stiff fast action 6wt's as a minimum but prefer 7's or 8's but that's just me.

If you have been out of the game for awhile or you are a beginning level caster, an underpowered rod makes casting a serious pain in the bahookie if you are trying to use large or cumbersome rigs and frustration may get in the way of enjoyment. When I go out with folks that are new or beginning, I put an 8 weight in their hands so they can pick up line better and don't have to drop their cast as often...it's just a more forgiving set up.

As far as the reel goes, I get the 7/8 wt's for all my rods. Those dinky things rated for 5 wts by most companies barely hold any backing and don't retrieve much line per crank. Considering your upper end choice of reel, it is going to be nice and light compared to cheaper cast aluminum models so if I had a 5 or 6 wt rod I would get the reel for a 7/8.

Also, I like to line up, (7wt line on a 6 wt rod) and in a pinch have often thrown 8 wt line on my 6 wt Orvis T3 and have had no problems and it may have even helped while chuckin alaskan sized flies.

Either way, good choice on a rod, Sage, Orvis, etc. rods at the mid to top end have great warranties and that's what makes that big price tag worth it...do they throw three times better than a cabelas rod at 150....no, but their warranty is exponentially better. I broke my 8 wt Sage XP AND my 6 wt. Orvis T3 during a very active season last year and both were fixed or replaced at minimal fees, Actually the Orvis folks returned my check for handling fees making that one completely free. Plus, they ask no questions.

Enjoy

Default agree with Catch It

I agree that the smaller rods can limit casting distance. Last year I read an article about using a line weight heavier than the number rod you are using to help with this. I was taking a 1 weight up to the slope with me to use for grayling, but could not always get my flies where I wanted them when there was anything above a mild breeze. I put weight forward 2 weight line on that reel after reading the article and almost doubled my cast distance.

Default yep

That set up will do well for dollies, trout and most pinks. I would avoid the chums on it all together. An med/fast 8 wt would be a better rod for chums/reds/silvers in my opinion. The choice of rod and reel are great. I use Sage and Scott rods exclusively. Be careful of weighted flies/lead eyes hitting the thin walls of the Fli. It will create a weak point that will surely break in the worst possible moment. A little candle wax to the ferrules and furniture polish to the blank is never a bad idea. The Cimarron is a great time tested reel. Get good line. My choice would be Scientific Anglers GPX. Great floating line for a faster action rod. Some good advice put down above me, so I won't waste your time. Nice choice on the gear. Did I say that already? Must be a reason why... Ha ha ha...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post

Whats the benefit?
    First off peterson steelhead don't actually exist they are a legend that brad propegates to keep people from taking their boat somewhere

Second if they did and 8 wt would be fine also for kings an 8 wt is fine just don't go with a leader heavier than 20 pound...

Large arbors are nice because they minimize line coil memory.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    First off peterson steelhead don't actually exist they are a legend that brad propegates to keep people from taking their boat somewhere

Second if they did and 8 wt would be fine also for kings an 8 wt is fine just don't go with a leader heavier than 20 pound...

Large arbors are nice because they minimize line coil memory.

Your trying to keep somthing a secret that about everyone in Juneau knows...?

Knowing they're there is one thing, finding them is another...

Hey Jake,

My advice would be to get a more expensive reel and a cheaper rod. Sure, Sage has the "cool" factor, but I've always thought the low end models are way over priced for how well they actully fish. Never used one, but the TFO rods always seem to get pretty good reviews, and I think they have a warenty too. Can't go wrong with a St. Criox SCII or SCIII either. The fish won't know that you don't have a "cool" flyrod.

A good large arbor reel with a solid drag will be the better investment for starting out IMO. I've burnt out lower end reels in less than two seasons. Salt and hard fighters will take a toll on the drag system. The large arbor makes reeling in line MUCH faster and you'll have better control fighting fish. I think lamson came out with a cheaper reel this year with their same drag system....might be a good buy. If your looking for a cheap reel, check out the new pfleugers...yeah, not the most prestigious company, but they've been making nice reels lately. My friend in WA has been using a Trion for steelhead and loves it--good disc drag, machined, and a large arbor for around $100.

8wts will bring in kings, just don't bend your rod into a pretzel trying to bank the fish.

Don't you guys feel sorry for those poor Peterson Cr. steelies. Man, they never get a break in May.

Default anti-reverse reel is the way to go

Last year I bought an American Classic 7/9 wt anti-reverse reel. These are made in Utah by a machinist. It has a monster drag and you don't have to worry about busting you fingers when you're palming the reel.

This thing is built like a tank. I've seen similar reels go for twice the price. This reel is worth every penny and I can buy 2 for what the other anti-reverse reels are going for. Do a search for American Classic Sales LLC....You won't be disappointed.

Also need to check out Wright and McGill Fly Rods. They have a great warranty and are built to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Don't you guys feel sorry for those poor Peterson Cr. steelies. Man, they never get a break in May.
    I do... Its a BOF year for southeast, hmmmm...

I gave up on that run a couple years ago.

Seeing those poor fish getting continuously flossed off of their redds made me kinda sad after a while.

I've got a sort of "secret" spot here in J-town that not many people are aware of that usually has a decent run of steelies. Probably not as many as peterson or even cowee, but I can usually have the place to myself... Pretty good trout fishing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I gave up on that run a couple years ago.

Seeing those poor fish getting continuously flossed off of their redds made me kinda sad after a while.

I've got a sort of "secret" spot here in J-town that not many people are aware of that usually has a decent run of steelies. Probably not as many as peterson or even cowee, but I can usually have the place to myself... Pretty good trout fishing too.

And I know the place you speak of as well :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast