Thread: Timing the runs around Anchorage

Default Timing the runs around Anchorage

Hi guys,

Will be in Anchorage for June and July. Im reading a lot of general times when certain species will be in specific bodies of water. "In early June the reds will be here or late July the pinks will be here" etc.

I was just wondering, when I get to anchorage, how will really know if the fish are running? Go to the bait shop daily? Newspapers? Forums? Do I just hop in the car and drive?

When I used to fish on the East coast, I used to hear 'The fish are here!!'. The next day Id go fish, and they were gone. Is it the same case for Salmon in the rivers? Or will they hang around for a few weeks in the same area?

Thanks for the info in advance.

They hang around for a while.
    For info there's always this site and on Thursdays go to ADN.com as they have the weekly fish report in the outdoors section. And as always the local tackle shops are a welth of information.
    Good luck!!

Thanks for the link.

If they hang around for awhile thats good. When I used to fish for stripers our East everyone would say: "If you hear that the fish are here, you're already too late".

I guess its different with salmon. At least now, Ill wait until my work day is done before grabbing the wadders.

This site is a good place to find out if the fish are in.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

If they hang around for awhile thats good. When I used to fish for stripers our East everyone would say: "If you hear that the fish are here, you're already too late".

I guess its different with salmon. At least now, Ill wait until my work day is done before grabbing the wadders.

Really if you hear it in the sunday paper you may have missed it LOL! Seems a run can really push hard a few days or be strung out over many days, every year is/can be different. Mid june the king fishing should be on fire and getting hotter. Most if not all the valley closes the 4th of july weekend. I believe (don't quote me) the penn closes later? I dont fish down that way very often and it's always earlier.

You can still hit kings in the chena after the 4th, abliet red, to dark red to moldy nasty stinky things.

The jist of it is, every river is different, every year is different, and every day is/can be different. Just because willow is hot, little willow or the lil su may not etc etc etc.

Default Some links for runs.

Salmon timing is hard to do. In a general way it is easy.........june = Kings, July = reds. August = silvers.

In specifics it's hard to do. I use this link a lot to watch the Kenai and Kasilof numbers. I also use to guess when other rivers might have fish.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php

I have a couple more links I'll post.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/

Is another website with a pretty good set up, gives run timing charts for various rivers, and it's daily catch report that the average Joe fishermen posts are nice.

Overall this site has WAY more users...and people willing to give advice.

Good luck.