Thread: Stock Replacement ? - Marlin Guide Gun

Default Stock Replacement ? - Marlin Guide Gun

I'm betting the answer is somewhere in this forum, but my quick search was not successful so ...

Can I put a stock from a 1895 style rifle or other Marlin series on a 1895 guide rifle? Is it just the lever that needs to be changed out - or is it more involved? I've got a 1895GS that I'd like to tweak.

Are there any synthetic options out there besides the WWG stock?

Thanks!

To change over to a pistol grip stock you need to change the trigger plate...hard to get

If you just want a more durable stock material then just get a can of spray on bedliner. It works very well and leaves a nice hard finish that will repell water and hoold up to a pretty good beating.

Here is my guide gun that I put the spray on beliner on the stock.

Default Smart!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    If you just want a more durable stock material then just get a can of spray on bedliner. It works very well and leaves a nice hard finish that will repell water and hoold up to a pretty good beating.

Here is my guide gun that I put the spray on beliner on the stock.

That was a great idea. Did you do any special treatment to the wood prior spraying?

You definately want to remove the old finish and then rough it up a bit with sandpaper. one note of warning, spray on bedliner is extremely durable but some bug repellents, with high deet content will melt it. I never had a problem but have talked to a few people who did. I used the duplicolor brand that you can get for around $8 a can.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I think it is Brockman Brothers or some similar named company that sells a laminatesd stock set for the GG. there products can be found in the Midway USA catalog. Not cheap, but they look good and durable.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    You definately want to remove the old finish and then rough it up a bit with sandpaper. one note of warning, spray on bedliner is extremely durable but some bug repellents, with high deet content will melt it. I never had a problem but have talked to a few people who did. I used the duplicolor brand that you can get for around $8 a can.
    No problem, mosquitos won't bother the gun. grin

ps. thanks.

I too have used bedliner on quite a few firearms and have not been disappointed by its durabilty in the slightest.

Question what sights

Hey kingfisher what ironsights are you using? I got the ghost ring sights and hate em cant hit anything past 50yrd with them. I took them off. I got the gg when they first came out and from the factory my front post was mounted cocked to one side its barely noticiable but unless I have a round bead for a front sight its really annoying and hard to shoot. The ghost ring set came with a square post. Also where did you get the lever and the light mount? Thanks

I have the ghost rings and like them, no complaints. The front site is a hi-viz and that definitely helps. I got my lever from Wild West Guns. TheBear_78 has the light mount, not me.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Hey kingfisher what ironsights are you using? I got the ghost ring sights and hate em cant hit anything past 50yrd with them. I took them off. I got the gg when they first came out and from the factory my front post was mounted cocked to one side its barely noticiable but unless I have a round bead for a front sight its really annoying and hard to shoot. The ghost ring set came with a square post. Also where did you get the lever and the light mount? Thanks

I put the cheapest stock I could find on mine. I have the 1895S but put the Ram Line synthetic for the Marlin 336 on it. I had to cut and redesign the forearm but it was easy. It has worked very well and only cost $46. Jim

As popular as the Marlin Guide gun is, I don't understand why one of the big after market companies doesn't make a stock for it. I've been looking for 6 yrs now, I just can't justify the prices of the couple that are available, WWG & Brockmans. I keep thinking that someone will release one soon, but never happens.

KK

I had a RamLine on my 1895 for a day. It just didn't feel right. I also wish there was a quality synthetic stock out there