Thread: Ruger M77 MK2 ejection problems?

Default Ruger M77 MK2 ejection problems?

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but have read through the threads as a guest for some time and I finally have a question worth asking so I signed up. I'm having a Ruger M77 Mk2 re barreled from 30-06 to 375 Ruger. Its a LH stainless with a laminate stock. Ive been reading a bit on the internet and stumbled across an article where a gentleman claims he saw a Ruger M77 MK2 CRF fail in 7 out of 8 rifles by PH's in training in Africa if they cycled the action as fast as possible. He claims the Ruger pivoting ejector is too slow from the factory and can miss the shell if the bolt is thrown at maximum force. Now....since I have this very action at the Gunsmith as we speak getting re barreled for a trip to Alaska later this year...can anyone offer any experience with this happening. Me and dad have owned several Rugers over the years and never seen this happen however we have only hunted deer, elk and wild boar and never had a life or death encounter that would necessitate testing this theory. Since the rifle is in the shop at the moment and dad is in Iraq I cant test this out on my own. Any words of advice are welcomed. Any specific fine tunings I should request from the gunsmith other than the usual? I asked them to square the action and lap the lugs as well as make sure the new caliber feeds properly but didn't mention any details. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh Walker
    I aint no monument to justice...

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I don't think you will anything to worry about. The PH's are being timed when they qualify for their license and have to get so many shots off into certain size targets in short order.

If you short-stroke it any bolt action rifle is going to fail to chamber a round. I've shot bowling pins vs. many of my friends using a 30-06 MKII and have yet to see if fail to load a round regardless of how fast I'm flinging the bolt...as long as I get it all the way back.

Default Rebarreling

I know you are in a different state. Just curious to what it is costing for your rebarrel to the .375 ruger. I have been thinking about one and never thought to have my .300wm rebarreled. Can it be done with that caliber and action?

Default Rebarreling

akrstabout, after asking around to several local gunsmiths I decided not to order a barrel and have it installed locally. I shipped the rifle to the barrel maker who also offers gunsmithing to do the whole job. The company is called McGowen Precision Barrels, LLC in Montana. It seems they are a group of former Montana Rifleman, Inc employees who branched out and bought this company and moved it to Montana right down the street from their former employer. Anyway the barrel and instalation is around $400. I went with these guys based on recomendation and the convienence of having all the work done at the same place (glass bed, install iron sights, lap lugs and sqaure bolt, install limbsaver, trigger job etc...). This is the first time I have ever had a rifle re barreled so I will let you know how the job turns out. So far they have been great to deal with...we'll see if the work is quality! heres a link if you want to check them out.

www.mcgowenbarrel.com

Josh
    I aint no monument to justice...