Thread: spring black bear

Default spring black bear

If you had a choice, would you use a .300 Win Mag or .270 Win for blackbear?

I'll probably be hunting 14C, would you expect to see any bears in April or should I plan on waiting until May?

Thanks in advace for any input you may have.

Userconflictville Alaska

Use the 300, no matter what species of bear the more knockdown the better.

It wouldn't matter one way or the other for me. I have only shot one black bear. I used a 308 winchester at 250 yards with a 180 rem core-lokt.

I would start looking at the end of April.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Eagle River, AK

On snowless slopes along Turnagain Arm you might find some in April. Further up the valleys in 14C, though, mid-May would be a better bet.

Either gun would be fine. Shoot both side-by-side at the range with the bullet that you would use in the field, and take the one that you find to be more accurate. A well-placed shot with a .270 is far better than an errant shot with a .300

Default just my thoughts

If you were being charged by a brown bear which gun would you want in your hands? That should settle it for you.

Well, I have used a .270, a 7mm Rem Mag, a .300 Win Mag, and a .338. Big blacks are really, really big and for them, the bigger the better is never a bad choice. And, one never knows when Mr. Big will truly come along. Use your .300 and you won't be second-guessing yourself when the big opportunity arises. Good luck and enjoy!