Thread: Southern Alaska range sheep

Default Southern Alaska range sheep

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and to sheep hunting, but i'm HOOKED! I'm looking a the wrangell area as its a 3/4 curl area and being my first sheep hunt I dont need a huge a trolphy yet. I'd really like somewhere closer like the southern alaska range. I live in Delta and am 0 and 4 for DCUA and TMA and I cant wait any longer (Talked the fiancee out of a trip to cancun so we can by gear!). I searched the forum for a couple hours and found lots of GREAT info on other areas but nothing on the Southern Alaska range area. Tony Russ's book says sheep don't live there, but they live in the talkeetnas, brooks and wrangells southern slopes. Can anyone help me?

More specific. Southern Alaska range? The southern slopes along the Denali Highway? Yes, there are sheep. Southern slopes at base of Mt. McKinley and the glaciers that come off of it? Nope, I've never seen sheep there. Southern slopes west of there? Yes, I've seen sheep in those drainages. The southern side of the Alaska range is a big place

Default wrangells

i hiked into the wrangells last year....i hiked into that little pocket of mountains northwest of the crystalline hills but kind of all by itself......i would advise you to not go there....i hunted for seven days straight...hiked every ridge possible....seen 10 rams and 23 ewes and lambs.....only one ram(the one i killed) was over the 3/4 requirement....granted he was 10 years old....but i was puckering pretty good when i shot at him....he was barely over 3/4....not even 7/8
    .....i would explore having a pilot drop me off in other places in the wrangells and i have seen some nice rams come from around nabesna and around mccarthy from other places than where i mentioned..since you are righ tin delta i would go talk to the guy at golden eagle to see if he'll drop you just outside the dcua to the west....either on the north or the south side...i know there are sheep on the northside and have heard of a few taken on the south side ......i'm still wondering where i'm gonna go this year....i've earned my wings on the walk in off the road deals....i think its time for a fly out....we'll see how the wallet looks...i want a late season sheep with nice long hair...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I'm talking about the mountains near Paxon. mainly I just wanted to know if there were sheep there. I'll try to get my buddy and his cherokee to fly it this summer.