Thread: Sharps 45-70

Default Sharps 45-70

Anyone know what kind of ammo can safely be used in a modern production 1874 Sharps made by Taylor and Co? Or, does anyone have any recommendations as far as rounds appropriate for Bison? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Anyone know what kind of ammo can safely be used in a modern production 1874 Sharps made by Taylor and Co? Or, does anyone have any recommendations as far as rounds appropriate for Bison? Thanks.
    The 540 grain Postell bullet at 15:1 and loaded to a velocity of 1640 fps. Penetration of 41 inches of buffalo at 180 yards.

Something like that might work.

Contact Buffalo Arms, they'll get you going.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Sharps loads

bobblehead,
    The Taylor Sharps is modern and should be a fairly strong Italian reproduction falling block but I wouldn't load that thing with 540 gr cast to 1640! That's in the Ruger #1 pressure category. Murphy's final suggestion is best- get ahold of Buffalo Arms.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    bobblehead,
    The Taylor Sharps is modern and should be a fairly strong Italian reproduction falling block but I wouldn't load that thing with 540 gr cast to 1640! That's in the Ruger #1 pressure category. Murphy's final suggestion is best- get ahold of Buffalo Arms.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/
    George is right, I didn't see the title of 45-70. For some reason I assumed a long Sharps caliber, that load of mine is for the 45-2 7/8". You'll need to throttle the 45-70 back a bit in that rifle. Anybody's Sharps is best kept at original velocity for a given bullet weight.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

In the 45-70 (45 caliber by 2.1 inch case) I have loaded a Lyman #457193 wich came out at around 418 grains, to 1290 fps using 63 to 64 grains of Swiss 1-1/2 black powder. That was from a 30 inch barrel. The same amount of powder will give you almost 1,175 fps using a 520 grain cast slug. (Taper crimp on all)
    I tried Pyrodex and it does about the same as Holy Black but nothing more.

I have not tried Triple Seven in a Sharps yet. It seems kinda hot.

If you want to stay smokeless and jacketed, there is nothing wrong with 46 grains of IMR 3031 and a regular 405 grain jacketed soft point. It will give you over 1,600 fps with no problem.

I only know about Shiloh Sharps rifles and have no idea how strong the Italian copies may be.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I'm not sure about the Taylor but the Pedersoli can take up to 35,000 psi. That being said, you really don't need to go beyond the 1100 to 1300 fps with the large cast bullets. I have used IMR 3031 with success but have moved to Accurate Arms 5477. It only takes about 28 to 30 grains to get the correct velocity and you don't have to worry about pressure or blow back from such a small load. Go to the Accurate Arms site and look it up. Jim

I'd sure be reluctant to push velocities higher than standard for the 45-70 in a Sharpes, no matter who made the rifle. If you want to push things, get a Marlin or a Ruger #1.

Before you feel like that's a bum deal, take your rifle out and whack some game with standard velocity rounds. You'll honestly wonder what all the whoop is about for higher velocities. Push that big of a lead slug at 1100-1200 fps, and things are going to be happening in the landing zone.

I've got a Sharpes in 50-140, but frankly I can't tell any difference on game between it and the standard 45-70 or hotted up 45-70 loads. Maybe if I was shooting mastadons the 600 grain 50 cal bullets would make a difference, but I haven't been drawn for any mastadon shoots yet.

Thanks for the input everyone. I won't have time to reload anything and I've used Buffalo Bore ammo in the past for my levergun, it sounds like that stuff might be a little too much for a Sharps replica? As far as factory loaded ammunition goes, any suggestions? I know Remington makes a 405 grain soft point and Hornady has some 300 grain lever revolution bullets.

Default Email Or Call Yet

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/contact/

The 300 grain loads, except for the Nosler, is for deer sized game. If you are going after something larger than deer use the 405. It works well for deer too. Jim

I was going after Bison. As far as standard pressure factory loads go, I was thinking either the 300 grain Nosler Partitions loaded by Winchester, the 405 grain Remington Core lokt, or the 325 grain Hornady Lever Revolution. I've used Buffalo Bore in the past in my lever guns and really like it, however, I'm not sure if the Sharps I have will take those hot loads.

Default You'll Love This Murphy!

This is the entirety of the email response to my question to Taylor-

"
    Is your Sharps replica safe for use with Buffalo Bore Ammunition?"

As long as it is standard pressure – this is an absolute requirement.

Thank you for checking with us.

Taylor’s & Co.