View Poll Results: How do you get your moose?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • get a moose nearly every year/ in easy to reach areas close to access

11 7.97%
  • get a moose nearly every year/by boat,buggy,snowmachine,atv.

52 37.68%
  • get a moose nearly every year/fly out

11 7.97%
  • get a moose around every five years/in easy to reach areas

6 4.35%
  • get a moose around every five years /by vehicle

5 3.62%
  • moose hate me

20 14.49%
  • I am new to moose hunting

33 23.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting poll

Default Moose hunting poll

I thought of this poll from seeing a comment about getting a yearly moose.

What is your moose hunting like?

How do you hunt and how often do you get a moose?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I only get one every five years. I hunt in easy to reach ares overlooked by other hunters.

I have hunted by four wheeler successfully and am looking forward to hopefully more moose by boat.

I have never seen a 50+ bull during season only fork or spikes.

----

I have some friends who do very well on moose but it is long trips by boat or 4 wheeler or both.

I will be out in DM802 (Galena-ish) for my first moose hunt. My buddy is well experienced and has the boat plus if my pops comes along, I'll have enough help.
    Looking forward to it!
    Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.-Thomas Jefferson

A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I am getting spoiled by flyout hunts. Even though I own ATV's I hate hunting from them. I can never get away from the other folks. Same goes for boat hunting. I like the quiet and solitude that a fly-in hunt can provide if you use the right outfit.

I now have to save for three years to get a moose hunt paid for. So, my answer would be..a moose every three or four years by fly-in.

I do most of my moose hunting using my atv for access then hunt from where ever I spot them. I'm getting into the float hunting thing a little more so thats another way I have started to hunt moose. I know some areas that I can hunt from my atv where I hardly see any people, don't see a lot of moose but we always manage to bag at least one before the hunt is over.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I am getting spoiled by flyout hunts. Even though I own ATV's I hate hunting from them. I can never get away from the other folks. Same goes for boat hunting. I like the quiet and solitude that a fly-in hunt can provide if you use the right outfit.

I now have to save for three years to get a moose hunt paid for. So, my answer would be..a moose every three or four years by fly-in.
    I have thought that that might be the way to go for me. I am tired of only getting forkies. And have been bordering on "moose hate me for the last couple years".

I thought I had it licked when I shot two forkies in two years with my bow.2003,2004. I have shot 5 moose in 20 years hunting for them. I have given shots away twice. Once to my brother and once to his friend. Both moose got away unharmed, the first time either had shot at a moose.

I guess I should have put "nearly every trip" for fly out as it is so expensive that not many people will do it every year. The poll is to see the most effective travel methods to good moose hunting

Default Five hunts - four kills. (only one hunt not using a boat - guess which one that was.

Two Biggest was down the Yukon - 1400 miles of river travel.
    Last two are with in view of my house - that is Kalgin Inland. 2006 and 2007.
    See 06 & 07 pic's on my business web site - www.globalseafoodsllc.com

We also have a Mountain Goat from the ocean boat.
    Black bear and ducks are next target after killing our 08 moose meat from Kalgin.
    3 hunter in 06 = two moose / 4 hunters in 07 = three moose
    Chain saw in one hand and rifle in the other.

Moose hunting is typically pretty low on my priority list. If I have time to do a longer hunt (longer than the weekend), I'd usually rather be hunting sheep or caribou. If I only have the weekend, I'll chase moose or bear. Thus, I'm often in easy-to-access close-to-home areas. My success rates are pretty low, but again I don't try all that hard. I would like to get a big one at some point (spike-forks for me so far as well), but I'll always choose sheep hunting over moose hunting unless my freezer is woefully bare.

I spend my time duck hunting in a camoed up boat. Most of the time it is up in sloughs where I anchor and spread decoys. Surprisingly the moose seem to walk up after all the boats have quieted down. I keep a rifle with me and it works great. Usually small bulls or cows (if I get a permit for one) I watch alot of moose on the shores and they let me know when a boat is coming up/down the main river. They slip back into the brush like ghosts. I really think there is something for drift/float trips. I think boats under power only see a tenth of the moose along a river or less. You sure can't sneak up on them with the motor wide open

Moose meat is a big part of my family's diet so we bag one every year, and it doesn't matter what size it is. Usually first bull we see goes down, average is 34" spread.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Pass

I've passed up moose the last 2 years just because I've got no place to put that much meat.
    Had a 60 plus incher in my front yard last Sept. and a smaller bull maybe 30 or so inches the year before in the same place. Maybe this year I'll see if I can find someone who needs some moose for the freezer before season, then maybe I'll consider shooting one. Or maybe I'll just go caribou hunting, again.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    And have been bordering on "moose hate me for the last couple years".
    Seems understandable given that you are out there trying to kill them.

I did my first moose hunt this past season in the Fairbanks area. So far --> 0/1.

Default moose hunting

Shot one for 16 years in a row from same area most 80 % within 1000 yards of lakeshore never picky spikes to fifty inches. none the last two years all the cows are gone from area, that is what kept the bulls coming in. Did shoot one on a late season muzzleloader permit this last year . So score 17 out of 18 years. Usually spend a week hunting Spent 12 days this last year.

I put moose hate me but I haven't truly put the time in to be successful. I have only hunted this past year as an "adult". The first 15 years moose hunting up here was short trips with my dad, while I am greatful for the time in the woods we were woefully unsuccessful. I am 1 for 1 on bou though! This year I had just retruned from a deployment and only hunted the last 4 days of the season and only locally. The animals obviously hate me cause despite spotting one large bull probably 55" or so @ 250 yards, I got nothing for the freezer. I came over a ridge in the swamp and didn't have the wind in my favor. I tried to count brow tines but my cheap bino's fogged and all I got was a good view of some cows staring at me then snorting and leading bullwinkle out of there in a hurry. I think they headed all the way to the Alaska peninsula! Oh well it would have been a miserable hump through 2 miles of swamp anyway...

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I split a moose every year between my parents and my wife and I (and now 10 month old)!! We always get a moose- sometimes we have to work harder than others, but we always bag one- fly out of course...I hope its not too unethical for us to spot them the day before......or is that only for guides?

Well I dont expect you to close your eyes on the fly in that is for sure.

--

I do try to get a moose as my family can eat one fast.

The two I got in aug were gone by X-mas.

Mark

None of the answers fit my situation.

I'm a meat hunter.

I've taken moose myself every 3 to 5 years. I've done it utilizing a variety of access vehicles, and both remote and near the house. I don't need to take any more moose than that.

I have a couple of brother-in-laws who hunt annually in a high percentage area, and come home with moose meat nearly every year. Neither have a family, and one doesn't even own a freezer. The meat always comes here (we have two freezers) and extended family members get what meat they want from here.

I apply for Nelchina Tier II caribou permits, and I hunt every time I get a permit. My success rate is normal for that hunt; about 70%, so that provides meat on occasion.

We were also active in 4H when my kids were younger, and we've always had livestock. I'm particularly fond of lamb.

Marv1- You are lucky to live in an area you can do that. Unfortunately I have passed on 40" bulls several times in the last several years in the Talkeetna area. I never see them again the next season and I see enough dead 40"+ but under 50" antlers on in the back of the local wildlife Trooper's truck during moose season to know that most of them never make it out of the season in this area due to poachers/bad judgers

Default meat

I put i usually get a moose every year in easy to reach places. but I am a meat hunter and apply for cow tags usually in the FMA and i draw them every other year. In the past i have shot a couple of small bulls and 1, 50 incher my son shot during the early youth hunt offered a while back. Do note usually when I have a cow tag or already fill my cow tag big bulls seem to walk right next to me and all i could do is watch them, but thats how it goes. Most importantly freezer is usually full of meat.

Default 8 for 8

I have hunted moose 8 seasons and have shot 8 moose.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast