Thread: "Paper" on scope rings?

Question "Paper" on scope rings?

So I bought a scope at Sportsmans warehouse and had them mount it. They put some kind of sticky paper on the rings and then mounted the scope. Said it would keep the scope from slipping. Seems like the paper will soak up water eventually. Should I get rid of the paper?
    Kimber Montana .325 WSM, Kimber bases, Leupold rings and VX III scope.

Thanks
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default bad scope fit

I have never had to use paper or any other kind of layer between rings and scope tubes. If the rings are made for the tube diameter of your scope, they should fit properly without "shims." If the scope doesn't hold well in the rings, then either rings or scope are not properly made. In my experience, shims are usually needed only as a last resort. On another note, though I am sure there are some knowledgeable people at Sportsman's Warehouse, there are a number who aren't. Just my 2 cents.

It was pretty common in the 70's and 80's. I've got a couple sets of NIB Leopold rings that were packed with paper shims, instructions printed right on them, for doing this. It's less common now with better manufacturing practices for rings. I know smiths that still do it as a matter of course for heavy recoiling rifles, and especially handguns. It doesn't necessarily have to be sticky paper to work, but it does have to be waterproof. I learned from one smith to trims Tyvek and make my own. It's thinner, waterproof, and works well. Not something I do normally, but if I get scope creap in a big boomer, I don't hesitate.

As for SW, I agree. They've got some real dinks in their midst, but I hesitate to paint them with too broad a brush. They have a few fine folks sprinkled into the mix. It's a case of knowing who you are listening to.

I just called them and inquired a little more. They say it is some type of treated/waterproof paper/plastic and that they do to it on all scope mounts. Said they have never had any complaints or problems that it helps keep the scope from getting scratched up and from possible slippage. So, who knows... I guess I'll try it. I just want a totally weather proof rifle. That's one reason I bought the Kimber. Don't want this to be a weak link after going to all this expense. Especially on my sheep hunt next week.

Anyone else??
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it.

Use it for now with confidence, then pull it this winter to see how it fared. While it's off, try the gun without it. If you get scope creap, put it back. NBD.

Like I said, I don't use it unless I need it. I'm kinda suprised they do it as a matter of course, but it could be a lowest common denominator having scopes installed by underpaid, short term staff with a minimum of training. Then again, it might have saved the bacon of an owner or the owner's friend, so they decided to do it always as a service to their customers.

Either way, have a great hunt and share some pics!