Thread: Pow Fall Black Bear

Default Pow Fall Black Bear

We have a selfguided hunt planned for the first week of september out of thorne bay. This is our first time to the island. We were told that the bears woud be primarily on salmon and maybe a few on lingering berries. Does anyone have any advice/experience in hunting this time of year and the most productive method? None of us are looking for the next world record (although I would take it haha) but just a good average bear. Any good spots that regularly produce sightings/kills? What part of the island is most productive? I appreciate your help!!

Thumbs up NO luck?

Quote Originally Posted by jbourne03 View Post
    We have a selfguided hunt planned for the first week of september out of thorne bay. This is our first time to the island. We were told that the bears woud be primarily on salmon and maybe a few on lingering berries. Does anyone have any advice/experience in hunting this time of year and the most productive method? None of us are looking for the next world record (although I would take it haha) but just a good average bear. Any good spots that regularly produce sightings/kills? What part of the island is most productive? I appreciate your help!!
    It doesn't look like you're getting alot of help so far. Give it time, the weekend is upon us and someone will undoubtedly respond. These guys are all very helpful and very liberal with advice and information. This is by far the place to come for info on AK.

How much research on the island have you done? The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting ready for a fall hunt off of Kuiu Island to the north and I spent five years building up to it. I did alot of research...alot. Obviously, you don't have to invest 5 years, but you don't have much time to work out your plan or logistics if you haven't done any research so far. Most people I've spoken to who were unsuccessful, started out with little to no research on their hunting spot or the species they're hunting. The lucky part is, POW is very popular to hunt for bear and there is alot of info on the net, in books, in forums and other sources. I've found that the people of POW are very helpful and there are alot of resources on the island and alot of ways you can go.

POW has a great road system on it and if you intend to use it, purchase a road map. You can order one online. Use topos to study terrain and access points. Use google earth and satellite imagery to look at the island geographic features. Call the Alaska Fish & Game Dept. biologist and fisheries guys. They will be a huge help. Talk to guides and locals too.

Be prepared, you may have alot of hunting pressure in the area you're coming into. Thorne Bay and to the north is popular and POW will have alot more hunters due to accessibility. I've been told to hunt the north, but there are also good places I've heard to the south or along the southwest islands. I've seen alot of nice bears coming off POW in the spring, but I don't know how tough it is in the fall since bears are probably more concentrated and so accessible to everyone and their monkey's uncle.
    "America sleeps safely in her bed because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do her harm."

G.Orwell

Default location

I thought you were heading to Kuiu? What happened

Default opps

opps.....thats B.J. heading to Kuiu. I got you guys mixed up

B.J., aaaaaahhahahahahahahaha! (he'll hear this one in bear camp this fall!)

Default methods

Ill tell ya what worked for us......we walked IN the stream until we found the most salmon carcasses or concentrated bear sign on the creek bank....you may have to walk quite a ways. Use good felt wading shoes or even better use the korkers....trust me. Make sure to walk in the stream as you dont want your scent on the bank if you can help it. The good spots will be harder to get to but worth the effort. If you could afford a self climbing tree stand that would be the ticket. Fortunately for us there was a large tall log jam with a perfect view of the "fishin' hole". At 5 pm like clockwork the bears started to show. Pard killed his at 5 pm when we were skinnin his mine showed on the opposite bank 30 yards away. BLAM! two bears both good 6 foot bruins. Had we more time to hunt and with some patience Im positive we could have killed the "Goliath".

Also, if your looking for a quality hide you wont find it in the fall.....springtime is best for hides. If your going just for bear I would go in the spring. We hunted deer and bear in the fall. Hiked to the alpine for deer (avatar) then got our bears. Cant wait to do it again. Good luck!
    Last edited by coastal ghost; 03-25-2008 at 08:38. Reason: adding comments
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.