Thread: Hunting Shirts?

Default Hunting Shirts?

I was looking and couldn't find anything recent. We all know the saying cotton kills. Most of the base layer shirts that you can find are cotten. What shirts do you wear for a base layer and where did you get it?

I wear Duofold double layer longjohns when it's cold. Inner layer is polypropylene and the outer is a combination of wool/polyester. I got them locally in Fairbanks, but Cabela's would have them.

I'm hearing great things about Underarmor.
    Now what ?

My reccommendation is the dri-duke shirts. You will need to find a military peson and get them to order them from AAFES.com. The sirts have a standard fit and can be had for under $10 ea!! You can get them in both loose fit and compression fit. They are probably the best kept secret in wicking shirts. The challenge is finding a vendor...

Well, I actually by all my base layer polys, T's, etc at Value Village or another local thrift store for a buck apiece. I have spent as high as 5 bucks for some duofold or outlast stuff.

Cheap but effective.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Be quiet Snyd.. I thought I was the only one that knew that. I bought a TON of polypro from the Salvation Army and Value Village for my kids over the last few years. I scored two UnderArmor camo shirts too.

If I can't find it in my size I simply go to Walmart and buy their UnderArmor knock-offs for about $10 a piece. I can't tell the difference...it's all just spandex anyway.

UnderArmor?!?! What a score! Half the fun is finding the really good stuff cheap! But I do notice that at VV they seem to bump the price up on camo stuff. I saw a HH Impertech Guide model raincoat there a few weeks ago and thought had a keeper but upon further inspection it looked liked it had been drug through the alders a few too many times!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The heavyweight tan polypro shirts you can buy at military clothing sales. $11 each. Best shirt on the market at any price. If you can not shop on base have a friend pick you up 4 or 5.
    Tennessee

I'll be trying the Sitka summit shirt with the Sitka vest this spring.

Default Not long johns

I guess that I should have better stated, Iwas talking about your shirts over your long johns. Never heard of the Dri-duke shirts and I'm a retired Marine. I'll have to take a look on base.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I guess that I should have better stated, Iwas talking about your shirts over your long johns....
    Well, it's back to value village or another thrift store for me! My current favorite hunting shirt is a grey plad acrylic/wool blend. I think it's 80% acrylic and 20% wool. Button up shirt with chest pockets. Cost me 5 bucks about 4 or 5 years ago I think. It's getting a little thin. Might have to go find another one this year. It's been a couple walk in sheep hunts and several moose and caribou hunts. It's kind of like an old friend now! When humping it with a heavy pack and sweating I wear just the shirt. It dries quick too. When it gets chilly I just layer up with my dollar polys and my 5 dollar fleece vest with a hood!

Cheap but effective

Default Cabela's Wosterlon Shirts

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...uct&cm_sz=Tall

I've been hunting in these since my first sheep hunt in '93 and I really like them.

Thumbs up

another vote here for worsterlon, and cabela's microtec is good stuff too. i have a shirt that has seen 5 years of heavy use and it still looks like new... just broken in a little.
    for warmer weather i like nylon-type shirts, guidewear or railriders.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Hooded Vest

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Well, it's back to value village or another thrift store for me! My current favorite hunting shirt is a grey plad acrylic/wool blend. I think it's 80% acrylic and 20% wool. Button up shirt with chest pockets. Cost me 5 bucks about 4 or 5 years ago I think. It's getting a little thin. Might have to go find another one this year. It's been a couple walk in sheep hunts and several moose and caribou hunts. It's kind of like an old friend now! When humping it with a heavy pack and sweating I wear just the shirt. It dries quick too. When it gets chilly I just layer up with my dollar polys and my 5 dollar fleece vest with a hood!

Cheap but effective
    Snyd, I've been meaning to ask you about that hooded vest, saw it in your sheep pics of 2006 - I can never find any with a hood and assumed you might have made it....did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Snyd, I've been meaning to ask you about that hooded vest, saw it in your sheep pics of 2006 - I can never find any with a hood and assumed you might have made it....did you buy it?
    Ya man I bought it at Value Village! Like new, 5 bucks.

Default Wool shirt

How about a pendleton wool shirt. I have several of these that are over 20 years old. I still wear wool whipcord pants too.

Sitka Mountain shirt with a poly top underneath. I've used the Under Armor stuff and after a few days it tends to stink, if you take a couple of pair and have time to wash them while your in the mountains then they would work great.......or use lots of deodorant.

I've still got 3 "sleep shirts" from my Air Force days. They are green with a chest zipper, they wick well, are warm but not to warm, super compfy against the skin, and seem to last forever. Over that it's either wool or Cabelas Microtex, good stuff. Does anyone else know about the sleep shirts? I'd like to get some more.

KK

Default polypro

if i am going to be hiking for a distance and weight is an issue, my outter shirt is another long sleeved polypro, they are light and fashion is not an issue. I usually wear one layer when hiking and add to it when I stop, then I have a coat to put over the top.
    If I am hunting from a base camp, I take a woolrich for the outer shirt.

Kandiyohi,"sleep shirts" You must be an old fart. I love those sleeping shirts. I got 2 wear out sleeping shirts from my old army days. Sure they sure are confi.......

Default Thanks for the tip

I got mine in yesterday. I really like them. It is hard to find a non cotton shirt or really any shirt that will fit me. The large-Tall fit good. Nice shirts and the sale price was great. I am going to order a couple more. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wa Woody View Post
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...uct&cm_sz=Tall

I've been hunting in these since my first sheep hunt in '93 and I really like them.