Thread: Matanuska River

Default Matanuska River

OK, simple question... I hear about folks making a short day-trip float on the Matanuska. Where can you drop in and where can you take out?

I put in at the Chickaloon River and take out 9 road miles downstream where the river comes up against the road. There is another place along the way that the river runs along the highway, but there aren't any good takeouts there and there is a fun hole that's good for getting passengers wet. I can't recall the exact mileposts...but I'm pretty sure that it's 9 miles downstream.

As for the put in, turn left immediately before the Chickaloon River bridge. On your right there will be a little dirt parking area with a steep downhill driveway to the river. You can drive down it fine, but you can also carry the raft down to the water from the upper parking area. You'll be in the Chickaloon River for about 40 yards, and then will hit the Matanuska. You can go right or left here, as both channels meet each other quickly. It's a really fun day trip - enough splashy water to get some screams and laughter out of passengers but almost entirely safe.

You can put in behind Kings Mountain Lodge. Go in and ask permission first, but I've never been turned down. You can take out just above the mouth of Kings River. This is the section that KCK does their annual raft class on. It's a bit tricky getting in there are some water levels, but you can also take a look at the spot right below the mouth as well. Also, there are people that have floated the sections below here, but you're on your own for take outs.

Above there, at Mile 100-101 (shortly before the Long Rifle Lodge) you can go down the steep drive to the bridge at the bottom. Don't use the drive that goes to the glacier access tourist scam. Use the drive that is just down river from it. You want to put in at the second bridge, not the upper one. If you can see a bridge downstream, you're at the wrong bridge and on private land. Go back and try again. The put in is on the highway side just above the second bridge. This is public land. Take out used to be Hicks Creek, but until the construction is finished you won't be able to use that. So you can go all the way down to King Mountain Lodge, or possible the public King Mountain Campground. This will be a long day. Nova has a deal with a private land owner just above Hicks. You might be able to use this if you ask nicely.

If you want some excitement in your life, you can go on to mile 107 and put in on Caribou Creek. The public access is on the upstream side of the bridge. There is a pull off with a paved parking lot, and a very steep drive from there to the bottom. Honestly, the highway improvement a couple years ago nearly ruined this access, but you can still make it work. Take out would be at the second bridge mentioned above. This is a 2-3 hour run and there is about 45 minutes of class IV at high water. Low water is easier, but there is a lot of rock dodging and getting down Caribou Creek can be a chore then.

Here's the gage: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

2-3' is low. 3-4' is normal, 4-5' is high'. Water comes up after several days of warm weather. It has to rain really hard for it to effect the water levels on this section of the river.

You can also float from Kings River to the Old Seward Hwy. Take out on river left directly below the bridge. I think it takes about 4 hrs. and there is not any whitewater.

Smile 4 hours

Kings River to the Old Seward might involve a bit of dragging but the Old Glenn would work. <grin>

I've done most of the sections described above plus Kings River down to the Old GLENN Hwy. That one took just a couple of hours in a canoe at higher water.

I see rafters pulling out at the Bridge on the old glenn all summer. I don't know where they put in but it's a popular pull out for the Matanuska.