Thread: crawdad!

Default crawdad!

nice can you post the recipie?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

tail: pheasant breast feather
    body: seal fur brown
    shell: scud back brown
    mono eyes (black)
    legs and antennas just rubber strands
    claws: pheasant breast feathers cut to desired shape

Talking

that is a sick looking crawdad. Im down here in flordia this week and off to mississippi next week and I sure could use that sweet pattern. Oh gonna be 86 today and Im off to chase Red fish and speckeld trouts. My mind will still be on alaska though
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Nice...

Now that is a nice looking fly. Put on a #8, I bet it would make a hell of a grayling fly. Pretty work man.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

thanx for the comments, its a size 6 hook, alaskachuck im jealous!

Thumbs up even better

#6 is even better. I have caught my biggest grayling in NW Alaska and they routinely hit the #2 dolly flies. I am not sold at all on the idea of #10-14 flies for grayling. Big fish, big bait. Nice fly man. And on a side note, nice photography. It is hard to get a macro that detailed. Great images to show off the flies.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile ditto on dans comments

I have caught big grayling on big hooks. Ill make sure to post some of my flordia pics when i get home. Was out just playing on the water today and saw some very very nice red fish. It is just nice to thaw out but my thoughts are still of me and the wife floating some stream or river home, Dont get me wrong, the sun and warmth is great but alaska is my home. We did not fish today just played, toddys. relax. I needed to unwind and let go. Now the fish will pay. Well not really they all will ce caught and released and no barbs
    Fish on
    I need a sunburn

Default Nice Craw Pappy....

Probably one of the BEST craw pappies I have ever seen. You ought to case it and sell it for big bucks at Cabalea's/ Bass Pro. Very impressive. Use of feathers for the claws is ingenious. Would never have thought of that.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK
    email: smallbiz@wt.net

thanx! 8seconds

Thumbs up

Very nice!

Good enough to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    that is a sick looking crawdad. Im down here in flordia this week and off to mississippi next week and I sure could use that sweet pattern. Oh gonna be 86 today and Im off to chase Red fish and speckeld trouts. My mind will still be on alaska though
    Try a Clauser minnow from the store if you don't have time to tie a few of 900fusion's beautiful pattern.

For tailing redfish, cast out in his path and well ahead, let him swim over it dead on the bottom, then twitch it little after the fish passes over. Watch the shallow water boil and swirl as he turns on it. Set the hook.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Try a Clauser minnow from the store if you don't have time to tie a few of 900fusion's beautiful pattern.

For tailing redfish, cast out in his path and well ahead, let him swim over it dead on the bottom, then twitch it little after the fish passes over. Watch the shallow water boil and swirl as he turns on it. Set the hook.

Thanks Ishmael, We are fishing the shallows of Tampa Bay area on Monday. I have watched so many redfishing shows and cant wait to hook up on one if the fish gods are willing. Im sure as usual the wife will slay the fishes as usual. We have done our research I think we have a solid guide. 36 year resident of Tampa, Checked many many references, surfed the flordia fishing forums to see the comments on him, he has taken the time to answer eveyone of my emails very quickly and was very helpful on the phone. If his effort on the water is the same as it is on the phone and net we should have a great chance to catch fish. I do know it is fishing not catching but he emailed me the fishing reports for the area every week for the last month too just to keep us up to date. So I thinking we made a good choice. Monday will tell for sure. Fair price and just the wife and I on the boat in the shallows. Looking forward to it and like I said, i will share some pics of the day with all my fellow fishing alaskans. Now time to go out in the sun, Nasty day here at 745 am. 74 and sunny headed to the pool for a morning swim

Talking not 2 shabby

nice lookin fly there buddy.....maybe this summer i'll actually catch some fish this summer with you and not just a buzz.....keep up the work and doubletime cause i definately can't tie flies like that......