Thread: What the #3ll is going on at AF&G

Default What the #3ll is going on at AF&G

I went to their website today.
    Hunting is literally behind "wildlife viewing" on the website.

I thought that the Gov was a gung ho pro hunting advocate?

Is it just the webmaster?

I also noticed that the UCC drainage maps that were gifs were off of it.

I am always viewed as being a bit paranoid... but..

Just curious.

Harvest reports are still on there. I wonder how many forumites know how to datamine.
    Sincerely,

Thomas

Wildlife veiwing is a much much larger industry than hunting, plus hunting with a camera is open year round and you can do it in national parks. You are just being paranoid though.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Wildlife veiwing is a much much larger industry than hunting, plus hunting with a camera is open year round and you can do it in national parks.....
    So why isn't it kept in national parks where it belongs?

Default Dont think so..

Wildlife viewing is a much larger industry than hunting.... Ever hear of the Pitman Robinson Fund.... How much money is generated by wildlife viewing? How many tags are sold for that??? Do people pay ten thousand dollars to go take pictures of sheep??? I don't think soo.... I think wildlife viewing does generate some money, but not what hunting does.....Just my two cents.

Default Another perspective

Dunno how long you've been in Alaska, but I've noticed that sometimes when folks move here from somewhere else, they bring stories of how the Department of Fish and Game in their state wasn't very cooperative with hunters. They come expecting the same thing from our ADFG. Well, I have not found that to be the case at all. On the other hand, if you're expecting them to publish ALL of the data they have, that's not gonna happen. Don't expect to see a map showing all the bear denning sites, for example. They used to produce that and other things like it (mineral licks, etc.), but no more. It puts too many people in too small an area.

Lately there have been reports of information being released then retracted. It probably falls in the same category.

Just my take.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Just use this web address www.hunt.alaska.gov Does that make you feel better?

Default Makes sense to me

You have to view (see) the animal before you shoot it.

Also, Im pretty sure Gov Palin does not have time to go through every state web page (thousands) to check content order.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeffin AK View Post
    You have to view (see) the animal before you shoot it.

Also, Im pretty sure Gov Palin does not have time to go through every state web page (thousands) to check content order.
    If she would like to come over to my house, I'd help her to review all those pages!!
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Wildlife viewing is a much larger industry than hunting.... Ever hear of the Pitman Robinson Fund.... How much money is generated by wildlife viewing? How many tags are sold for that??? Do people pay ten thousand dollars to go take pictures of sheep??? I don't think soo.... I think wildlife viewing does generate some money, but not what hunting does.....Just my two cents.
    Do people pay ten thousand dollars to go take pictures of sheep??? Yes. They do. I watch whale-watching boats turn $20,000-$60,000 per day all summer long here. How many guide businesses do you see making that kind of money daily?

To turn the same question around a bit, what do you think would happen if 1.5 Million hunters all descended on SE Alaska during a 100-day "open season"? When was the last time you saw a boat pull up with 3000 hunters on board, all chomping at the bit to get off the ship and shoot something? (Oh, and if you did... did they pay $3000-$15000 apiece to come to Alaska?)

Tourism in Alaska wouldn't exist if not for the wildlife viewing and scenery in the state. As far as renewable resources, Tourism is about the biggest (dare I say only?) one we've got left these days. Well, I guess there's the recent movement to turn Government into our state's biggest industry, but I don't really think it can stay big for much longer before everyone just leaves... then things will be back to the way they used to be, right? ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just because someone comes to Alaska and is interested in wildlife viewing does not mean they are an anti hunter. I have lost count of the friends that have come to visit me in the last 20 years and wanted to see and photograph critters...virtually all of them were hunters and eventually came back to hunt.