Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Alaska

Default New to Alaska

I just moved here to Fairbanks from Alabama. I love to fish but I dont have a clue whats even in the water here. All the water is still frozen so I guess I have a little time to get all my ducks in a row before I hit the banks. Could anybody give me some pointers of where to start? Like I said I dont know the first thing about fishing in AK. Thanks.

Spring break up little Chena River. Use little crappie jigs for Grayling. It is catch and release for grayling.

We caught a lot of rainbow trout and arctic char in bathing beauty pond with powerbait.

That little lake by the side of the road in Nenena has a lot of rainbows in it too.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Interior waters have grayling, pike, burbot, dolly varden on some streams off the Tanana, and salmon in some streams during the summer.

There are also lake and ponds that are stocked with rainbows and dollies around Fairbanks.
    Now what ?

What part of Bama? I'm from Blount county. Arctic grayling can be fished like bream. Rainbows, Dollie Varden, and Arctic Char can be fished like Bass. Lake trout are any where from the surface in the spring to deep in the summer. Burbot can be fished just like catfish. All of this advice is geared towards lake fishing. In rivers all of the same species are there plus salmon but some of the techniques are diffrent.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Im from just north of Huntsville. You are right down the road. Thats cool. Awesome advice you gave me relating these fish to the ones Im used to. That makes it easier. When does the ice melt? Im kinda anxious. A couple of days before I left Bama, I was sittin on a boat crappie fishing with 70 degree temps. It was great. That was only 2 and a half weeks ago.

Default Bama's in the rear view

bamafisher,
    Your days of bass and catfish are over...for now. Welcome to the world of fightin' silver salmon, HUGE kings, tasty reds, beautiful rainbow trout, fresh ocean halibut, etc. I could go on forever. Best part is you can fish year round no matter the temps. This is the mecca of the fishing world. I have become one spoiled fisherman since arriving in '04. Ironically I will be GOING to Alabama for flight school for a year. I WILL RETURN!!! Best places for me have been Quartz Lake on the Richardson HWY by Delta for bows, Chena River for grayling, and of course I always make the drive to Willow Creek or Sheep Creek for the King run. Again I always make an attempt to drive to Homer, Valdez, or Seward for a halibut charter. I hope you enjoy the fishing up here as much as I do. You might not want to go back...Good Luck!

Headed to Dothan, huh? I dont care for south bama all that much. Im from the north hills. So, short of cutting holes in the ice, how can you fish right now?

Quote Originally Posted by bamafisher View Post
    So, short of cutting holes in the ice, how can you fish right now?
    Ha! You do know that you're in Fairbanks, right? Look out the window - no fishing to be had within 6 hours of there without cutting a hole in the ice. Don't discount ice fishing, though. While not the same as open-water fishing, it can be really fun in its own way.

The only open-water fishing to be had would be saltwater, or possibly the flowing waters of the Kenai Peninsula for trout or dollie varden. If you want to drive 7-12 hours, you could look into a saltwater charter for winter king salmon and/or halibut in either Valdez, Seward, or Homer.

Incidentally, I have some family in Huntsville and spent a portion of my summers during my childhood there. You have my condolences.

Home is home....what can I say? I have been all over the world several times and there is no place like it to me. Well, going to salt water is pretty much out of the question since I am here for work so taking time off is not an option. I guess I'll have to wait till the ice melts. When should I expect that to happen? It seems to be several months from anything resembling spring so I assume it will be awhile. On the other hand I do love to go to the Sportsman Warehouse down the road. That place has it all.

Mid to end of April for spring and right into summer.

Break up in Fairbanks is very fast and the summers are awesome. I did think that was neat about Fairbanks. It can go from -10 to +70 in about 6 weeks.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Mid to end of April for spring and right into summer.

Break up in Fairbanks is very fast and the summers are awesome. I did think that was neat about Fairbanks. It can go from -10 to +70 in about 6 weeks.
    And back to -10 again
    It's not alot different here in Yellowknife.
    The snow starts to fly in October and spring comes in late April.
    Another reason to start icefishing!!

Fly tying, Lure building and rod making with magazines about fishing and all that go with it gets you through the ice/snow.

Ping Bluemoose on this forum, he can get you going in any and all of these winter past times.

Spring is coming....

Leads into and out of some of the lakes here in the valley are opening.

Just gotta wait

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Just gotta wait
    George
    I'm impatient. I guess I'll start getting tackle together. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions about that too.

Default You've done the right thing...

by posting/taking the time to get on this forum. This forum has been the single best source of help for me for Alaska fishing. The guys here have helped me catch 2 kings last summer, refine our methods for fishing reds, and turned me on to new lures to catch pike. There's lots of other advice I've gotten for saltwater fishing and other things that I've yet to put to use. I've never even knew there was a fishing forum before I discovered this one!
    Ask lots of questions, even the ones you might think are dumb, there is no dumb questions in fishing; you gotta start & learn somewhere. I still consider myself a novice compared to the folks here, but my dad always says, "there's always someone smarter than you on any given subject, find them".
    Jim
    PS---start NOW by saving for a boat (or 2 or 3!)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    I still consider myself a novice compared to the folks here, but my dad always says, "there's always someone smarter than you on any given subject, find them".
    Jim
    PS---start NOW by saving for a boat (or 2 or 3!)
    I have been fishing for 25 years but feel like I am starting over because I am out of my element. I'm only going to be here a couple of months so a boat is out of the question. I have already learned quite a bit from this site but there seems to be no end to the amount of questions I have. Maybe I'll have all my ducks in a row before the ice melts

Bamafisher, I have been here for a year and a half and am just starting to get all of the "basic" gear. I spent last summer learning and experimenting and between what I learned on my own and this forum I have more than doubled what I have over the winter. Don't be bashful about ice fishing. Find someone with a shanty or rent an ice hut and hit the hard water. Also, driving 3 hours one way for fishing is the rule not the exception up here.

P.S. A lot of my family lives in New Market and Hazel Green.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post

P.S. A lot of my family lives in New Market and Hazel Green.
    I grew up in New Market. I went to New Market School K-8 and graduated from Buckhorn HS. I currently live in Hazel Green off of Charity Ln. Small World!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bamafisher View Post
    I grew up in New Market. I went to New Market School K-8 and graduated from Buckhorn HS. I currently live in Hazel Green off of Charity Ln. Small World!!!
    PM sent, small world indeed

Bamafisher, here is a link to the fish and game website for fishing reports.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/WeeklyHome.cfm

This is the sport fishing main page

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/sf_home.cfm

and this is the hunting page

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main

There is a LOT of information on the fish and game sites. Spend your free time for several days/weeks looking through the information. If they suggest a specific lure that you don't know, look it up because they only suggest one if it is realy successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast