Thread: Help with GPS and Compass Interference

Default Help with GPS and Compass Interference

I recently installed new wiper motors, and I noticed the one at the helm window sends my compass spinning and kills my GPS signal. I assume it is the electric wiper motor's magnets doing this. I move my compass away from the motor and it normalizes. I move my GPS away from the motor and it gets back it's signal. My old wiper motors (cheap-o's that broke) were a different style and I didn't notice any trouble.

Here's my problem. I can't mount my wiper motor in a different spot. The frame around the window doesn't allow it (it's too narrow). And I have no where else to mount my electronics where I can see them. They must go on the dash right near the wiper motor. Is there a way to shield the interference or something? Any help appreciated.

i'd try shieding the wires or even the wiper motor with some copper braid or foil.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Water View Post
    I recently installed new wiper motors, and I noticed the one at the helm window sends my compass spinning and kills my GPS signal. I assume it is the electric wiper motor's magnets doing this. I move my compass away from the motor and it normalizes. I move my GPS away from the motor and it gets back it's signal. My old wiper motors (cheap-o's that broke) were a different style and I didn't notice any trouble.

Here's my problem. I can't mount my wiper motor in a different spot. The frame around the window doesn't allow it (it's too narrow). And I have no where else to mount my electronics where I can see them. They must go on the dash right near the wiper motor. Is there a way to shield the interference or something? Any help appreciated.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692