Thread: Encore for Alaska?

Default Encore for Alaska?

I will be moving to Alaska for 9 months of work and was wondering what everyone thought of in terms of a TC stainless Encore for general hunting in Alaska. Depending on work and schedules, I may get the opportunity to do quite a bit of hunting, though no plans to go after the big bears. I plan on bringing the following barrels: 22lr, 300 win mag, and 50cal MZ. Curious about thoughts on using a single shot. Thanks in advance for the help. Take care everyone....

Sounds great. I have a 500 S&W NEF Handi-rifle I plan on doing some hunting with this year.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default I use one.....

and I know many others who use the same. Of course if you are really worried about self defence just bring along a side arm or shotgun if you can. I practice reloading repidly to set up a second shot so I am very comfortable using mine and wiht some practice you should be able to reload almost as fast as an average bolt rifle. I actually just ordered a 375h&h barrel for mine. Enjoy your hunting!

I shoot one and love it. I also just bought the 416 Rigby barrel for mine. Can't wait to see how she shoots with that barrel.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Have 11 barrels for my Encore from 204 Ruger up to 500 S&W. Everything from Mice to Elephants are covered.

Default Thanks to all.....

My wife and I are both ICU RN's and are looking forward to coming up. Thanks to all for the responses and encouragement!

I have the 204 and 25-06 pro hunter barrels along with a 20 inch 45-70 barrel. I plan on adding more as i get the $$.

Default .308

I have one in .308. I purchased it for sheep hunting. I just don't have the accuracy I want (not enough practice).

I just bought the Pro Hunter in 338 Federal. Planning to use it for a goat hunt this year. I'm very fired up - already have the blue/wood pistol in 375 JDJ. I think the T/C is a great option up here!

Chris

I purchased the TC Pro Hunter while serving in Iraq. I purchased it with the 30-06 Sprinfield barrel and couldnt wait to hunt with it when I got back. My first moose was taken in 2007 with this rifle and couldnt be happier with it. I plan on buying more barrels for it instead of buying a bolt action.The new pro hunter is a must have rifle. Good luck on your hunts.....

A friend of mine just got a BEAUTIFUL sheep back from the taxidermist that he got with one with the 300 winnie barrel.

Default I carry a TCR,

The TCR is the gun TC made prior to the Encore. It too is a single shot. Have carried this gun since 1985. Have taken several Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, and a few Grizzlies. My favorite barrels are the .338 Win Mag, 30-06, and 22-250. I have several more, but those are the ones that see the most action. I also own an Encore, but it usually sits home since I like the TCR better, personal taste.

Nothing wrong with the Encore, really like the MZ barrel. I load three triple 7 pellets and power belt bullets, for Moose.

As for carrying a single shot, in 38 years of hunting in Alaska, have only needed a second shot once.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Talking T/C ProHunter!!!

I have two ProHunters; one with the muzzleloader barrel and the other is the Safari Edition frame which has the African Big 5 on the receiver and it wears a 416 Rigby barrel. I can't say enough good things about these guns! They shoot great groups right out of the box. Don't be afraid to get a single shot. This gun has made shooting and hunting so much more fun for me.