Thread: Pike through the ice

Default Pike through the ice

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone has done any pike fishing this winter around the interior.. I'm not to familiar with the lakes that are good for pike but i would love to hit a few of them up before the ice gets rotten. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

mntransplant

Default Just an idea...

Twenty years ago we took snowmachines off the back of Murphy dome and down the Chatanika to Goldstream. It was a great ride and we slaughtered pike. Like every pike in Minto flats goes there until breakup. I'd love to get back up there.

I believe that areas is now subsistence? Have to read the regs on that one.

There is decent pike fishing around. I'm not much of a pike man though it's fun when we do go.

About the only way we can name them is on tip ups or on rods with basically non moving herring as bait. Rig it through the back like you'd rig a fathead or shiner for walleyes if that means anything to ya lol. And let it sit, dont touch it. Or if its on your rod, just a slight slight lift, or very slight jig. It seemed the more aggressive we were, the less fish we'd catch. The windless worked very well and imparted just a slight bit of movement. Most of the lakes near town are pretty much devoid of the bigger fish due to the lack of stocking over the past 5 to 7 years. There are a few here and there but most are 2 to say 5lbs on the avg.

Any word on George Lake out past Delta?

cough cough.....dont ask, just go

But make sure the river is froze up tight. Call ahead first! If you need a partner I'm itching to get down that way. Got an oldtimer at work I try and get a few pike for as he likes pickeled pike.

Now is the time for george. do you have a sled?

I do have access to a snowmachine if thats what you mean. Also i can get a pull behing sled and power auger too. I will be off for the next few days, PM me and if your up to it i would love to go out there.

Default george lake

George lake is amazing for pike, however it closes on march 31st so if you are going to go you had better hurry. Plus don't forget the limit is only 5 fish and only one of those can be over 30 inches. I was hoping to get out there myself, but with gas what it is i am not sure if this year is possible.

Default Tradbow

But make sure the river is froze up tight. Call ahead first! If you need a partner I'm itching to get down that way. Got an oldtimer at work I try and get a few pike for as he likes pickeled pike. Now is the time for george. do you have a sled?
    Tradbow...do you know of any good places to cross the river? Thanks for any info

Richie

I have a portable flip top style pull behind fish house and a power auger so no need to borrow those. Also have two sleds, really should run both of them. Was curious if you owned one or not.

I'm up for it if you want though there maybe a 3rd guy, he's been itching to get out too this winter.

dawn-dan@gci.net

Dan

For crossing..yes there is a place but it maybe open with this warm weather. It's the typical crossing at the pull out. Kinda crappy directions, call fish and game they can give you mileposts as I dont have it off the top of my head. Go down hill, straight across and you'll find the trail. Heck follow the tracks, just becareful of open water!

Question George lake

If anyone wants to join me, i will be going out this week.
    campbellj20@hotmail.com

Let me know