Thread: William Optics 8x25 WA Bino review

Default William Optics 8x25 WA Bino review

So I used to have a pair of el-cheapo 10x25 pocket binos and I really liked the size of them. Being able to stick them in a shirt pocket meant they were always handy. But, since they were cheapos the image wasn't that hot. They finally bit the big one and I have always wanted a quality pair of pocket binos ever since. But, I just can't get myself to spend 4-500 bucks or more on a pair of pocket binos. Even 350 or so for a pair of Nikon Premiers (which are supposed to be fabulous, even out ranking Ziess in some reviews) was more than I wanted to spend for the pocket binos. But, I wanted fully multicoated lenses, Bak4 phase coated roof prism, waterproof, nitrogen purged, etc. Well, I had recently bought a Williams Optics (WO) zoom eyepiece for my Pentax spotting scope. I was very impressed with the WO zoom and WO has an excellent reputation in the astro world for making very fine glass. 52x on my Pentax 65 is supreme. They make high end astronomy scopes and eyepieces as well as a couple binos. One of which is a cute little promotional jobber with... drum roll..... Ferrari. Yup, little Ferrari red binos in nice promotional packaging. Well, I could care less about marketing but the specs are what caught my eye (see below) and I liked the 8x25 as opposed to 10x25 or 8x20 for light gathering. Again I did not want a bigger 30mm bino. I wanted a true shirt pocket pair of binos. The other thing that grabbed me is they are wide angle. 8.2 degrees as opposed to 5 or 6. This means 429 ft FOV at 1000 yards. That is excellent for any bino. But, will they be crisp and clear? or will they have distortion? Sometime wide angle means bad image. I took a chance. I got them delivered to my door for $186 bucks. Sale price blah blah. They retail for $250. so far I am pretty impressed with the little buggers for what they are. They are surprisingly crisp and bright for small binos. I wish the eyecups were a little different design but I got used to them. They lose a little crispness at the very edge but the FOV is so large that it's not an issue. I'm not seeing any obvious CA. Color and detail/resolution is excellent. Now, the Pentaxes are definitely brighter and have a better image. But this is not a shoot out between pocket and full size binos. and these little binos are far from el-cheapo glass. The best thing is that they are a full POUND lighter than my Pentax DCF SP 10x43's. I weighed them at 10.6 ozs without case, 12.6 ozs with case and they are about the same size as my Nikon Monarch 800 rangefinder. I bought these for sheep hunting mostly. The times I've sheep hunted I've just used my binos to spot the white dots and then out comes the spotter. Plus, having a bino harness on, binos hanging off my chest, back pack on, gun carrier keeping my gun in front of my chest just gets to be too much junk to be fooling with. These will just go in my pocket. I'll try them out this year and see what I think. So far they seem like an acceptable compromise between decent optics, light weight, convenience and price. I have not spent hours and hours behind them so I can't comment on eye fatigue yet. Anyway, here are the specs and some pics of them, my Pentax binos and spotter and rangefinder for size comparison.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Specifications of William Optics Ferrari VISIO 8x25 Binoculars:

Magnification: 8x
    Objective Diameter: 25mm
    Exit Pupil: 3.1mm
    Eye Relief: 11mm
    Prism System: Roof type, BaK4
    Coating: Fully-Multi-Coated
    Minimum focus distance: 1m (3 feet)
    Focus System: Center Focus
    Water Proof: Yes
    Field (Degree): 8.2 Wide Field
    Field (m/1000 m): 143
    Weight: 310g (0.68 lbs.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    oooooooohhh

aaaaaaaaahhhh The top center portion is carbon fiber....

Handy size.
    Last edited by Snyd; 03-13-2008 at 20:26.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Wide neck strap

Center focus wheel. Actually my middle finger lays right on it comfortably.

It says "Waterproof/Dry Nitrogen Filled"

25oz Pentax DCF SP 10x43's next to the little Visio's.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Some other pics

Those are some pretty sweet bino's! You certainly won't have to worry much about losing them! Do they have eyecups that rotate in and out?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Those are some pretty sweet bino's! You certainly won't have to worry much about losing them! Do they have eyecups that rotate in and out?
    Ya, eyecups twist up and down. And the best part about them is they look like little tires Diopter adjuster stay put when you set it also.