Thread: question on mount

Default question on mount

I just replaced the scope on my 300 weatherby with a Nikon 2.5X10X42 monarch, I also had a muzzle brake put on the gun. The only problem I'm having is that I can see the muzzle brake in the bottom part of the sight picture on the scope, it's fuzzy and at the bottom 1/5 of the scope and not in the way of the crosshairs. there is plenty of room between the scope and the barrel, and seeing the brake doesn't really bother me that much. Is this going to cause a problem? Would slightly taller mounts fix the problem?

I take it your only seeing this at the lower end of the power range? Got a VXlll 1.75-6x32 on my rifle and can see the end of the barrel at the bottom of the scope on 1.75x and no problems. If it annoys you go to higher mounts but you may find yourself lifting your cheek off of the stock to get a full view through the scope. GOOD LUCK!

til later

Default yup

only at 2.5 when I move it up to 4, it's perfect, I guessing not an issue for me, just seeing if anyone else had this problem.

Thumbs up eye position..

I can see where it would bother you, but I would be more concerned with you eye position on the scope. If it fits, leave it alone. No good will come out of getting higher mounts if it puts you in an uncomfortable shooting position. However, if you could raise with a higher mount and still be comfortable (or even more comfortable) then go for it. On the 300, I would be sure to lap the rings. Put a Burris Signature series 6-24 on my 300 Weatherby about 7 years ago. It has never lost its zero. It is a 3/4" gun and has never needed adjustment. I am a firm believer in lapping the rings. Good kits can be had for about $40 at Midway USA and Brownells. Only takes about 20 minutes and pays big dividends.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.