Thread: When is a good time to view polar bears?

Default When is a good time to view polar bears?

I have some friends that are leaveing June 1 and they want to see Polar Bears up north before they go back to NY. When is a good time to view them and where should they go?
    River Runnin

This is info that I am not sure but have heard....They are far off shore during the summer. In the winter, Kaktovik is the place to go in Alaska. They do see them occasionally around Deadhorse but not with any regularity. Again, this is from some conversations I have had with some photographers so take it with a grain of salt. May have to go to the zoo in Anchortown.
    EricL

anything helps! I've never felt a need as a resident, they'd be cool to see but if I see one sometime great, these guys are from down south and they want to see polar bears and brown bears, the brownies that clam in kodiak. I told them to go to the dump (and stay in the car!) if they wanted to see bears.
    River Runnin

According to Al Gore they should be running all over the shores of Alaska since global warming has melted all of their habitat.

Seriously though Norm Amstrup in Fairbanks has done hundreds of hours studying them and tagging them. He probably knows as much about that subject as anyone I could think of. I checked his phone number and it is 907-479-3036.