Thread: Winter Kings Technique

Default Winter Kings Technique

You guys that spend a lot of time fishing for winter kings - do you troll fast with flashers and the like or slow with herring? I know you wanna be down fairly deep, but I had heard conflicting thoughts on troll speed. Thanks!

about 1.9-2.1 mph's

Generally I go with a slower speed at lower water temps. When measuring your speed make sure you use water speed and not GPS or speed over ground! The tide in some areas can go 1 or 2 kts. If you don't have an accurate way to measure water speed or if it is rough out and the boat is really rocking, a quick rule of thumb I like to use is to look at the downrigger cables. If there are bubbles on the cables that go down the cable from the surface of the water more than a few inches you are probably going too fast. Good Luck!

The one time I tried it, we ran 4 downriggers and varied the depths (45, 50, 55, 60).

We ran flashers on the two outside rods (45, 60) and varied what we trolled: herring, a teespoon, hoochie.

We tried to troll as slow as possible, even putting out and dragging a couple of buckets to decrease our speed.

We were doing something right; had 8 take-downs and landed 4, biggest being 28lbs.

-- Gambler

Default Did you have better luck on gear with the flasher??

Which gear did you have more hits on???
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.