Thread: fixin up the decoys

Default fixin up the decoys

I've been out in the shop re-painting my decoys. I have dozens of wood and plastic decoys so I work on some of them each spring. I've been using Herters paints for years. I mix my own colors out of the ones they have available. The Herters paints are available through Cabelas. One thing I have noticed is the color of the birds we have up here before migration. Most are still in eclipse plumage. I paint my decoys to match. Dull them down. add more gray/brown feathers etc. It seems to work alot better during hunting season. The new fancy paint jobs look nothing like the birds we actually see in the marsh during Sept. Anyone else using duller decoys? or is everyone just pulling them outta the box and tossing them on the pond?

I usually just pull them out of the box and throw them out on the pond. My logic behind it is, brighter colors can be seen from farther away, so hopefully the birds will come and give my decoys a look over. And hopefully they will do it within shotgun range.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've been using a mixed spread up here in Fairbanks area. I use teal, gadwall, widgeon and mallard dekes and two swans. The swans are the bright point in the spread and the ducks are all more subdued colors. So far it is a combo that has been dynamite. Geese look at things but won't come near the swans.

I used to have several hundred decoys when I lived in SE and I would paint them each summer, I rotated birds depending on the season, but I had alot to choose from. I think duller worked well early season although the more color the better they can see you with. Early in the season when I used eclipse phase decoys it usually was super mag size as I needed the extra appeal.