Thread: Pack Rain Covers

Default Pack Rain Covers

I'm interested in hearing what people use for a rain cover on their back pack hunts. In the past I have used a Cabela's pack that had one built in, but I am considering changing to a Barney's pack this year and want to get some ideas on how best to keep things dry.

I have an OR (Outdoor Research) pack cover. XL this thing is huge. I can beverly hillbilly my pack if need be and this thing will cover it all. Plus if I have to siwash it on the side of the mountain for a night I can actually curl up in this thing like a makeshift bivy/tarp. And I have, in a storm. It kept me dry.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...ack_cover.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Kool-Dri makes a great pack cover. If you're getting Blarney's pack you can pick one up while you're there.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I put a large garbage bag over my pack but only when it looks like rain, otherwise I don't use a rain cover.

I pack all my stuff in lightweight dry bags and just let the pack get rained on as I hike. A pre-season coating of rain repellant helps too. In camp overnight, I will use a light weight plastic bag over the pack that also serves as a liner once there is meat to hump.

I second the OR, they sell'em at Beaver sports.

I have the OR as well, although if I recall correctly from last year all I have to do if it starts raining is wait for Snyd to put his pack cover on and it stops raining!..grin

REI sells several different sizes. Ifn I remember correctly around $20.
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I have the OR as well, although if I recall correctly from last year all I have to do if it starts raining is wait for Snyd to put his pack cover on and it stops raining!..grin
    Another reason to by the OR

I looked at some rei covers several years ago and was not too impressed. The seams weren't even sealed. Maybe they've fixed em up now.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I don't know where my buddy got them, but on a Colorado 3 day hike in the mountains he brought a light weight spare tire cover for each of us. I think he paid 5 bucks or so each. They seemed to work quite well. For what it's worth.

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I have an OR (Outdoor Research) pack cover. XL this thing is huge. I can beverly hillbilly my pack if need be and this thing will cover it all. Plus if I have to siwash it on the side of the mountain for a night I can actually curl up in this thing like a makeshift bivy/tarp. And I have, in a storm. It kept me dry.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...ack_cover.html
    Does the XL size work for an external frame pack?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Does the XL size work for an external frame pack?
    Yup. No prob. It is huge.

Default OR Extra Large cover

I use the OR in size XL for my pack(a little big), because I don't have the vestibule on my tent so i have to set it outside for the night, therefore, I cover the pack, frame and all....except rifle, that goes to bed with me.