Thread: Cannon downrigger repair

Default Cannon downrigger repair

Hi, I am looking for any and all advice on having a couple of Cannon Digi troll 4's repaired here in Alaska. Has anybody had any experiences with either Alaska Performance in Anchorage or North Repair in Ketchikan for repairs? Thanks.
    Last edited by Relentless; 03-13-2008 at 12:52. Reason: Incomplete post

I assume yours is out of warranty? If you're not looking for freebies, Brad at Action Appliance here in Juneau keeps all 6 of mine in great shape. Sheesh... my original 2 DigiTroll IV's are 15+ years old now...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thumbs up Alaska Performance

I had my Cannon downriggers repaired at Alaska Performance last season. I thought they were fairly priced and the turnaround waas quick. Happy customer here!

Chris

Thanks for the comebacks. Yes, they are out of warranty, but since I am in Juneau I will give Action Appliance a call. I will also be up in Anchorage the first part of April and was hoping to here good things about Alaska Performance.

Case, Have you had many problems over the years with yours? I have actually had 3 pairs -First set both needed new computer boards after two years. Second set, bullet proof - they are still going strong after 5 years.Third set, both need help, one I think needs a new board, the second needs a new keypad possibly. Despite the problems and expense of keeping these things going, I think they are the best riggers on the market for actually keeping your gear in the water. Just keep a spare on board. I have fished with all the major brands and have always come back to the Cannons.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Thanks for the comebacks. Yes, they are out of warranty, but since I am in Juneau I will give Action Appliance a call. I will also be up in Anchorage the first part of April and was hoping to here good things about Alaska Performance.

Case, Have you had many problems over the years with yours? I have actually had 3 pairs -First set both needed new computer boards after two years. Second set, bullet proof - they are still going strong after 5 years.Third set, both need help, one I think needs a new board, the second needs a new keypad possibly. Despite the problems and expense of keeping these things going, I think they are the best riggers on the market for actually keeping your gear in the water. Just keep a spare on board. I have fished with all the major brands and have always come back to the Cannons.

Ben
    Ben-

Of my 6, I've replaced 1 keypad, 1 board, all the D/C plugs and all of the sockets that they plug into. Whenever I start to see problems, I immediately rip the D/C plugs off and almost always find "black rot" or "wire rot" in the leads. If I catch it before it gets inside the unit, there's never a problem. My original 2 don't have the voltage adjustment knob, but I don't use that feature anyway...

Actually, the biggest problem I've had is Cabela's trying to send me 4 of them via Parcel Post, but that's not exactly a fault of the product!

I keep threatening to try the Scotty's that all the other charters like to use, but I can't find anything besides the Canon's that have the depth pre-sets... Station #1: Recall, Run, Move on. Station #2: Recall, Recall, Run, Move on. Station #3: Recall, Recall, Recall, Run.... etc.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]