Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Combo Halibut and Salmon

  1. #1
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Question Combo Halibut and Salmon

    I saw this on my other thread and thought it was a really good question so I started a new thread on it.

    ---

    Is it worth it to book a combo salmon & halibut trip instead of just halibut?

    Would this take the time away from catching your halibut limit?




    .
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  2. #2

    Default

    I would say go with the salmon and halibut combo trip especially out of Seward. The optimal time to fish Halibut is 1-2 hours before and after the tide change. A lot depends on how strong the tides are running. Usually there is still plenty of time to fish for salmon on an all day trip.

  3. #3

    Default

    Sometimes you can do both in the same location.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Farmers Loop Permafrost
    Posts
    152

    Default Best time for...

    Was in Homer last weekend and did the combo. Got a couple little Halibut(Halibitty, ha-ha) and YES!, a King. $190.(Off season rate and maybe a deal at that)
    Charter guy, Richard Baltzer(Obsession) said the best time for Winter(or Feeder) Kings is late May, early June. I think the bigger Halibut have started moving back in by then. Was such fun and tastes so good...I am trying to come up with a plan/reason/excuse to head back there or Seward. Would be great to have a high percentage to get TWO Kings and Halibut of possibly larger size.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

  5. #5

    Default

    I went on a trip out of Seward last time and there is not much to do after you get my 2 fish limit. But it was a big boat so we hung around until everyone had their share.

    I like to get some info on how does it work on a combo butts and king out of Homer. How do they fish for salmon while fishing for butts? I know that the boat is anchored for butts? And I thought that they slow troll for salmon.

    Thi

  6. #6

    Default Combo

    I would recommend a combination charter. I went on a combination charter out of Seward in Late July. We caught our silver salmon limit in about 30minutes and used their heads for halibut bait. We then went farther out and caught four halibut from 40-108lbs along with a lot of rockfish and 3 ling cod up to 65lbs. It was a great trip and I think having the fresh salmon entrails and heads for bait really helped. A lot would depend on the time of year and species of salmon you're after as well as the size of halibut. Good Luck
    Greg

  7. #7

    Default Homer or Deep Creek Combo trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Thi View Post
    I went on a trip out of Seward last time and there is not much to do after you get my 2 fish limit. But it was a big boat so we hung around until everyone had their share.

    I like to get some info on how does it work on a combo butts and king out of Homer. How do they fish for salmon while fishing for butts? I know that the boat is anchored for butts? And I thought that they slow troll for salmon.

    Thi
    Thi,
    We fish for Halibut near the change of the tide and troll for Salmon ethier before or after that depending on if the tide is early or late in the day.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    I would recommend a combination charter. I went on a combination charter out of Seward in Late July. We caught our silver salmon limit in about 30minutes and used their heads for halibut bait. We then went farther out and caught four halibut from 40-108lbs along with a lot of rockfish and 3 ling cod up to 65lbs. It was a great trip and I think having the fresh salmon entrails and heads for bait really helped. A lot would depend on the time of year and species of salmon you're after as well as the size of halibut. Good Luck
    Greg
    Greg, are you allowed to use sport caught Silver heads as bait for Halibut?

  9. #9
    Member RMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    Greg, are you allowed to use sport caught Silver heads as bait for Halibut?

    Oh yes,

    Salmon heads make great baits. I like to put a baseball sized head on the hook and throw a herring on for smell. Keeps the really small fish off the hook.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

  10. #10
    Member CanCanCase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bandon, OR
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Oh yes,

    Salmon heads make great baits. I like to put a baseball sized head on the hook and throw a herring on for smell. Keeps the really small fish off the hook.
    Just watch your local regulations and EOs. In SE, most of the time you're prohibited from de-heading silvers. If a creel census taker finds any of your coho without their adipose fin, they get to keep the head to check the otolith and figure out which hatchery the fish came from.

    Also, it was just last year that regs were changed to allow sport caught pinks and chums to be used for bait... otherwise the edible portion of a sport caught fish can't be used for bait (think waste of game regulations.) I know you can use heads and carcases for crab bait, since they're considered waste after you fillet the fish. Here in Juneau, however, we can only field dress the fish, as a trooper always looks for heads. (Besides, anywhere there's a limit based on size, you'll get a ticket for de-heading before you get to the dock if the powers that be can't measure the LOA of the fish.)

    Okay, I'm done informing the world of my interpretation of the regs now... sorry to interject.

    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Member Sapper 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    323

    Default Just did a combo myself

    RMiller,
    Depends on what time of year you are going. Beggers can't be choosers sometimes. I just returned (literally) from Homer today. I went out Wednesday on a combo that I was lucky to get on from the start (winter season). I got my limit on halibut and reeled in a nice king to go along with that (see 2008 pics thread). Depends on what lat/lon you are but I could have pulled in 2 kings time permitting but we voted to get our halibut portion started. If a combo is what you want I HIGHLY recommend you leave out of Homer due to a very short taxi time to and from. It was worth the drive from Fairbanks. Took our time getting there staying in Anchorage a night then continuing on to Homer with a small stop to fly fish the upper Kenai. Overall great time. Richard from North Country Charters is the man to speak with about a great combo trip. Fishhomer.com

    The Sapper

  12. #12
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Just watch your local regulations and EOs. In SE, most of the time you're prohibited from de-heading silvers. If a creel census taker finds any of your coho without their adipose fin, they get to keep the head to check the otolith and figure out which hatchery the fish came from.

    Also, it was just last year that regs were changed to allow sport caught pinks and chums to be used for bait... otherwise the edible portion of a sport caught fish can't be used for bait (think waste of game regulations.) I know you can use heads and carcases for crab bait, since they're considered waste after you fillet the fish. Here in Juneau, however, we can only field dress the fish, as a trooper always looks for heads. (Besides, anywhere there's a limit based on size, you'll get a ticket for de-heading before you get to the dock if the powers that be can't measure the LOA of the fish.)

    Okay, I'm done informing the world of my interpretation of the regs now... sorry to interject.

    -Case
    Up here in south central the regs are diffrent. Heads are ok to use for bait but Chums and Pinks that are sport caught are not. The only species that we have to worry about the legnth on, in the salt, is lingcod.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    Member Sapper 2-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fort Wainwright
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    RMiller,
    Depends on what time of year you are going. Beggers can't be choosers sometimes. I just returned (literally) from Homer today. I went out Wednesday on a combo that I was lucky to get on from the start (winter season). I got my limit on halibut and reeled in a nice king to go along with that (see 2008 pics thread). Depends on what lat/lon you are but I could have pulled in 2 kings time permitting but we voted to get our halibut portion started. If a combo is what you want I HIGHLY recommend you leave out of Homer due to a very short taxi time to and from. It was worth the drive from Fairbanks. Took our time getting there staying in Anchorage a night then continuing on to Homer with a small stop to fly fish the upper Kenai. Overall great time. Richard from North Country Charters is the man to speak with about a great combo trip. Fishhomer.com


    The Sapper
    I should expect some halibut fillets from you on Monday 2-7! Ohh by the way, Timmy really needs to start taking notes.

    Sapper 2-6

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woss, British Columbia
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Here in BC all we really do is combos. Our hali spot is exactly (as I've timed it haha) 8 minutes away from our salmon spot. It works pretty well. Def try and get a combo...may save you some money.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •