Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law Enforcement Carry

Default Law Enforcement Carry

As we have a few LEO's on the site, I thought I'd ask. What are the requirements for LEO's as far as your side arm goes? Does everyone have to shoot the same make/model/caliber? Being that not everyone is built the same, I cant imagine it but was curious if you got to select your own rig...

At APD, we can carry a selection of guns with limited calibers. The standard issue is a Glock 21 (.45acp). If the grip is too big, they have some "slim line" models that have had the backstrap filled and then shaved down, or they offer a model 22 (.40) if the shaved 21 is still too big. We can also carry our own personal guns as long as we qualify with them. For on duty, they don't want us to go smaller than the .40 from what I remember. I know some of the guys carry a 10mm, but most stick with the .45acp. Off duty, smaller calibers are allowed (I think down to a .38)and there is a wide variety of guns.

I recently purchased a 1911 and just got the leather gear so once I go through the transition course I will be able to carry this gun. I don't like the idea of going from 13 +1 rounds to 7 or 8 +1, but I will have to see if my shooting improves enough to justify it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

That sounds like a pretty sensible approach for a PD to follow. That's not bad at all.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Law Enforcement

We issued Sigs and then Glock 21s but wood allow an officer to carry their own as long as they qualified with it and it was at least .35 caliber. It also had to be made by a reputable manufacturer.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Default Law Enforcement duty carry

Our agency mirrors APD. We are issued the Glock 21 but if the officer has small hands they can carry Glock 22. Officers can also carry 1911s if they choose. No restrictions on off duty carry other than you have to qualify with it.

Default Glock

Troopers are issued Glock 22 model in .40 cal. Off duty is what you want but obviously you have to train and qualify. I didn't think I would like the plastic gun but it is almost bomb proof and mediocre shooters seem to like it more than what was issued in the past.

My agency allows any service handgun as long as it's in .40 S&W.
    At the moment everyone carries Glocks.
    Now what ?

Glock 22 is the standard issue weapon. As with APD, some small handed shooters can get the Robar grip reduction version. Off duty there are limitations, you have to qualify with the weapon, and it has to be made by a manufacturer on the "approved list." It is possible to get a waiver on a case by case basis. You can't carry a caliber smaller than .38.

Crazy question here.

With CCW laws what they are what is keeping you from carrying whatever you want off duty?

At Wasilla we have glock 40

Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    Crazy question here.

With CCW laws what they are what is keeping you from carrying whatever you want off duty?
    Department policy. Legally, I could carry whatever I want. Here's the deal, if I have to step in and act in an official capacity, the department can dictate what I carry and how I carry it. I have to have my badge, handcuffs, and one full reload of ammunition. I carry a Glock 27 off duty because function is identical to my duty weapon. BTW, I carry a 15-round Glock 22 magazine as my reload for my 27. I have a $1600 1911 that doesn't get used because I don't want to screw up my Glock muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    At Wasilla we have glock 40
    What the heck is a "glock 40?" I don't believe glock makes a model 40. I know they make about four .40 S&W caliber handguns.

Thanks for asking, was wondering the same thing...

You can't carry a caliber smaller than .38.
    So no .357 magnums? Even off-duty? I find that a little hard to believe...

Is defending your own life always stepping in at a official capacity, or is that rule only viable when you break up a crime, arrest someone, or defend someone else's life?

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post

Is defending your own life always stepping in at a official capacity, or is that rule only viable when you break up a crime, arrest someone, or defend someone else's life?
    It's actually a good thing...trust me! If I follow our dept. policy while carrying off duty and get involved in a shooting (whether protecting my own life, my family, or someone else), the union will back me and help defend me in any potential lawsuits. If I am carrying something other than what our policy allows (and haven't qualified with it), they may not help.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post

Actually the .357 mag is no smaller than the ".38". The .38 special & .357 mag both use the same .358" diameter bullets, & the .357's case is about .120" longer.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Wink So...

What kind of a "throw down" do you guys carry?

Sorry... I'm just kidding

I seen it in a movie once.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default OK, so what does qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Actually the .357 mag is no smaller than the ".38". The .38 special & .357 mag both use the same .358" diameter bullets, & the .357's case is about .120" longer.
    "smaller than the .38"

So that obviously leaves out the .32 ACP, but how about .380 ACP and the family of 9mm cartridges less powerful than the 9x19 (9mm Parabellum) such as the 9x18 Makarov. How about the new .327 magnum or the (very old) 38 Smith & Wesson, which has a diameter of .359 to .361 and is also known as the .38 Super Police .38 Colt New Police., not to be confused with the .38 S & W Special. And then, of course, there is the forty caliber 38-40 which has, despite the name, a diameter of .399"-400". (Never mind that it is chambered most commonly in single action revolvers)

I guess this is what I am asking, "Is the determination made looking at straight diameter, a formula based on power, weight, etc. or decided on a case by case (no pun intended) basis?" Does the department have a committee for this decision?

Just idly curious. Bureaucracies (sp?) fascinate me as almost much as ballistics do.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

At the Sheriffs Dept. I used to work, off duty we could carry anything above .22 cal. On duty we were required to carry .38 special or "above". Issued weapon when I first arrived was a S&W 686 with Rem .38 Special loads. We then went to Glock 17 with 115 grn Win. load. Just after I left the Glock 22 in .40 was issued. You could however, purchase your own weapon for duty use with prior approval which was not difficult if the weapon was from a quality manufacturer (no Jennings, Highpoint, etc) and not single action. My Current dept. issues the Berreta 92D with the 124 Golden Sabres. You are not allowed to carry any other firearm or ammunition while on duty. We are supposed to transition to the P229 Sig in the near future. Off duty there are no restrictions as you are acting outside of our jurisdictional quagmire and are offered no protection. I currently carry a Colt Commader in .45 ACP. I used to carry a Ruger SP101 2.25" .357.

This is an interesting thread. Several LEOs have stated you can carry _______ when off duty if you qualify with it.

What is the course of fire for qualification? Just curious...
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast