Thread: Yamaha 450 Grizzly

Default Yamaha 450 Grizzly

I am looking into getting a 08 yamaha 450 grizzly and would like to hear thoughts, opinions, experiences. I have 2 hondas and am generally pleased but want to try the automatic tranny. I am most interested in comments regarding durability of the tranny and ability to tow/pull a trailer. Thanks in advance.

Default The 450 is awsome

it has plenty of power and clearance to do whatever you need. the Yamaha automatic is clearly the best in the business, I have never had a problem with it, and I tow a meat trailer fully loaded. I have had a moose + gear, on the ATV went thru swamps and tundra no problem. Mud tires do help a ton.

I don't own a 450 but do currently own a 2007 Grizzly 700 and Rhino 660. Before that I owned a 2003 Grizzly 660 and a 1997 Big Bear 350 (auto clutch). I have never had a tranny issue with any out them. Yamaha builds a solid bike from top to bottom. I ride with a few 400s and 450s and the only thing I can say about them is they don't get great mpgs. Bigger tires exaggerates poor fuel economy. Bring a fuel pack along for longer trips and you will be ok.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default 450 Grizz

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I went throught the same thing you are several years back. It was a hard decision to make after riding Hondas for over 25 years then put out the cash to buy a Yamaha. I did end up buying a 2002 Grizzly 660 and have had great luck with it, and am fast approaching 6500 miles on it. Have changed the oil after every major ride, done the brakes once, wheel bearings once and changed the belt once (it was still with in spec but I was already in there so changed it). Had to change the rear rack once and the steering stem and bars but that was my doing, not a mechanical. I should point out that the drive train has stood up well given that I'm running 26' Mud Lites on ITP rims and dragging along lots of extra gear all the time. I have some buddys that have bought Yamaha Grizzlys since then and there have been problems, I know of about 4 or 5 that when the rear end is articulated, the drive axles popped out, thought it was weird, yamaha covered it under warrenty. (you can put them back in out in the field, its just a pain) and came up with a fix. Also know of a couple 400's and 450's that have blown the rear axle seal after just a few hundred miles, yamaha covers it and I don't think they've come up with a better seal yet. A buddy of mine is the Yamaha Tech. at our local dealer and he even had to do his. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a Yamaha, just have the dealer give you the "up front" on service recalls or bulletins and as to wether or not they've fixed the problem on the newer machines.

Thumbs up

We had an ultramatic 400 for years. Great bike, no worries. The 450 is even better and it'll go to heck and back.
    Yamaha really perfected the automatic and it shows.

Now go forth and buy, grasshoppah......

The Yamaha's are great my wife has the Griz 350 I ride a Big Bear 400. The only thing I would say is if you ride with the big boys on thier 700's you will wish you had the 700 also. I would have spent the money to buy the 700 if I knew hten what I know now. I can keep up with them on tight trails and through the mud but not even close in open terrain. But it all depends on what you will be using it for. Go Yamaha either way.

You wont be wishing you had the big boy when your stuck side by side with no winch and you can easily move yours by yourself and need two to move the big boy, but like you said it depends on what your using it for. I have a 2007 450 and could not be happier. I posted a thread during the 40 mile hunt last year about its performance. with myself a friend and a meat wagon with about 150 lbs in it I pushed my buddy on his older 4 wheeler and his meat wagon back out about 12 miles out off the miller house site. If anyone has every been back there you know the terrain. The 450 performed flawlessly and had so many compliments on the performance. Yamaha has it hands down.....

I have 02 660 griz with 27" mud tires and a clutch kit. The yammy Ultramatic is the best belt drive tranny on the market. It is a wet clutch design. i have towed some heavy loads with mine through deep muck and the tranny is great. i also love the On-Command 4 wheel drive. 2 to 4 wheel drive at the push of a button at any speed is really great. I think the 450's are a little lower geared than the 660's and that 450 is kind of like an old chevy 350. Just a dependable motor that's been around. Sounds like a great bike to me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default 450 Grizzly

Dobin:

I don't know where you are located but if you are around Anchorage or Wasilla Send me a private message and I tell you how I saved $987.00 over the Anchorage price on my new 700 Grizzly with EPS, which I pick up on Thursday March 20th. I'm sure you can get a great deal on a 450 Grizzly too.

I own two automaic atv's, a 650 praire and a 450 kodiak. I must say that the kodiak has a better transmisssion hands down. The honda's are great machines, but I feel you would be happy with the kodiak. I have been riding atv's for 23 years so I have enough experience for a solid opinion. I have had no trouble in the 4 years I have owned it and would definetely buy a kodiak again!