Thread: synthetic vs laminate

Default synthetic vs laminate

I am in the market for a go anywhere do anything rifle, and it will need to be reliable and the stock needs to be as warp proof as possible. This leads me to believe it needs to be either a synthetic or laminate. My personal preference would to have it stocked in walnut, but I worry about warpage, so my next choice would be laminate. I would like to hear what you guys in Alaska have to say on the matter. Alaska is the true testing grounds for the gun torture test.

Simple, buy yourself the "Edge" and be done with it. I have understood that laminates are good but they are heavy-myself have owned 2 laminates, won't again. Though bedded the web blocks were splitting, it has been talked of that the big magnums housed in laminates is not a good thing. I sold my .375 RUM in a laminate it too was splitting along with my 300 win mag laminate both Rems.

I have a Monte Carlo "Edge" coming in for my pre-64 action, McMillan along with Rimrock are top makers of synthetic.

oh well,

regards,

I own several McMillans and love them all. As a general rule the 'glass stocks will cost more but weigh less than a laminate.
    But, a good glass bedding job on a wood stock with a free floated barrel is dang near as warp proof as they come.
    Still, my stock of choice for all my hunting rifles are McMillans. Pricey and about a 6 month lead time but worth it.
    Tennessee

Miguel, I can assure you that stainless rifles with synthetic stocks or coated rifles with synthetic stocks are standard Alaska fare. For custom hunting rifles, my favorite are the Hi Tec stocks, for factory rifles, the Blaser system

Default synthetic vs laminate

I have been doing gun work for years and both are good choices,but you can make wood stocks as waterproof as you want. I personaly prefer wood do to its feel but thats just me.There are a lots of products you can refinish wood that makes them extremely weather resistant.