Thread: Rainbow trout on the menu

Default Rainbow trout on the menu

Just curious if anyone on this forum eats Rainbow trout. I especially like them wrapped in foil with potatoes, onions and with a little seasoning and cooked in the coals of a campfire, panfried is good too. They are delicious. Most people living out here in rural Alaska will keep Rainbow trout for cooking whenever they catch them.

Every year, I will keep a few from the various lakes I fish (....stocked fish only).

But I brine them up with brown sugar and rock salt, then smoke 'em! Smoked trout is actually VERY good!

If you've never tried it, you're missing out on a real treat!

Smoked with rye bread horseradish and a Pils. My mouth is watering now.

I prefer to eat rainbows from flowing waters. But will eat lake rainbows that I catch the same day. Skinning also helps with the mud flavor.

I prefer to eat char but will not freeze them either. I will only keep what I will eat that day.

Kenai river rainbows are very good but it has been may years since I have ate one of them.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Just curious if anyone on this forum eats Rainbow trout. I especially like them wrapped in foil with potatoes, onions and with a little seasoning and cooked in the coals of a campfire, panfried is good too. They are delicious. Most people living out here in rural Alaska will keep Rainbow trout for cooking whenever they catch them.
    I had that same meal last weekend with the kids; we used King Salmon instead of trout. They called it rich man pasties’. Was very good.

Default Dishwasher Trout

My mom's used to fix dishwasher trout when I was young and brought home some stockers in NM. She seasoned them a little, but a pat of butter, onions and lemon wedges. Wrapped them tightly in foil and put them in the top rack of the dishwasher and ran it through a regular wash cycle and heat dry. They would come out perfectly cooked and very moist. And no she did not put them in with dirty dishes although that would probably work as well. If I did it I would probably need to run them through with dishes to have something to eat on.

Default Don't forget the bacon

Rainbows are pretty low on my list but on a fire...they are great, I like to use butter and whatever seasonings I have, a little lemon and put a couple of pieces of bacon inside and bake in foil....cook it til the skin crisps a little and voila....I prefer this with Dollies but it depends on what happens to die on a fish dinner day.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    My mom's used to fix dishwasher trout when I was young and brought home some stockers in NM. She seasoned them a little, but a pat of butter, onions and lemon wedges. Wrapped them tightly in foil and put them in the top rack of the dishwasher and ran it through a regular wash cycle and heat dry. They would come out perfectly cooked and very moist. And no she did not put them in with dirty dishes although that would probably work as well. If I did it I would probably need to run them through with dishes to have something to eat on.
    Which detergent works best with trout?

Default Rainbows are good pickled too!

Lightly scale and cut into chunks a mess of stockers. Freeze for a month to kill any worms. Thaw, and brine them for a day. Make a pickle by bringing a solution of Karo syrup, water and wine vinegar to a boil. Cool it. Remove fish from brine, and begin placing a layer in the bottom of a crock, jar, or tupperware container. Layer onion, lemon slices, and prepared pickling spices over the layer of fish, then repeat the process. When layers are 1 inch from the top, pour the cooled pickle solution over the works and refrigerate for a week before sampling. Scandinavian soul food!

Sayak,

What is the brine made of?

Default Rock salt or Kosher salt and water.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Sayak,

What is the brine made of?
    Mix enough into a quart of water to float a potato. Don't dry brine for pickling as you might for smoking. The main purpose is to firm up the flesh, not flavor it.

Thanks Sayak,

I had some pickled pike that was excellent. It tasted like butter pickles mmm. If you can make pike taste good pickling can make anything taste good.

Now that is an absolute riot! I'll bet you could cook all kinds of things in a dishwasher and save energy too!

My favorite way is pan fried. Half flour half corn meal season to taste and fry in a pan of hot, but not smoking, oil. My second favorite is to cook them on the grill with some fresh vegies.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/