Thread: Homer Spit Lagoon

Default Homer Spit Lagoon

Is it still a good place to fish this summer? I will be RV camping in Homer for couple day in mid June. Just want to find a place to fish. Any recommendation for alternative?

Thi

I always loved fishing the spit pond. I did not do so good there last year.

The first three days I fished it last year were around the end of May. Three days in a row I fished it for 1.5 hours each day and caught one king each day. First King on shrimp under a bobber, the other two on #5 Vibraxes. I also lost 6 other kings. I though it was going to be a great week as the run had just begun.

Then I never caught another. I could go there for 2.5 hours and only see 2-5 kings caught all by tightlineing (bobbersnagging). It seemed like the fish just werent in yet. Day after day.

Also 90% of the locals fishing were snagging with bobbers. I would not be suprised if the fish were being snagged or gill netted at night.

-------

It might really be productive to learn about the Anchor River as it is supposed to have a good King run.

Plus you can fish your socks off catching bottom fish and Dollies at the end of the spit.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Homer camping...

I never regretted being a "Spit Rat" and hanging out at the end of the road. There was always something about that location that had wonder and discovery...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Local people may not think that it exciting to fish there. But for an out of towner like me, I love to catch a salmon any chance I get, within the rules and regulations of course.

The reason I asked is someone told me that ADF&G no longer stock the lagoon and the run would disappear soon. I don't want to keep my hope up if the run is over.

Thank for the info.
    Thi

If you have the opportunity to fish the lagoon then give it a try. Personally, it's not my cup of tea. I would rather fish the Anchor River, Ninilchik or Deep Creek for Kings. However, most of these rivers are only open from Saturday thru Monday. Check the regs to see when they close in June.

I haven't heard that the stocking was stopped. It could have happened and I didn't hear, but I think it's still stocked. Plus the returning fish are years old.

Also this has been mentioned but I never pass up fishing off the end of the spit by land's end hotel there with the little rock beach. Bring something that you can cast a country mile and you will catch fish. From pollock, to yellowfin sole, to pacific cod, to arrowtooth flounder, also different kinds of sculpins and maybe, just maybe a halibut.