Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate Salmon by species for taste

Default Rate Salmon by species for taste

OK I'll display my ignorance- Which species is the best eating Salmon?
    Down here salmon is salmon, and I know that's not the way it really is.
    Hhounds

Mark

1) Copper River reds (sockeye)
    2) Ocean fresh reds from elsewhere (UCI, or Upper Cook Inlet)
    3) Yukon Kings
    4) Copper River Kings
    5) Kings from elsewhere, the fresher the better
    6) Silvers from anywhere
    7) The rest aren't worth eating

Thumbs up Good Stuff

Mark has a pretty good line-up but I do disagree with one thing. There is a bay out of Whittier that near the end of May you can catch fresh chums EVERY CAST. Fresh, silver sided, and freaking huge. We caught several over 20lbs. In the past years we would go in there and let the kids catch a few and throw them back. Last summer I kept 6 and smoked and canned them and they were awesome. It was some of the best canned fish I had ever done. I even gave some to my chum hater friends and they agreed they were good. This year I plan to take the family in there and limit out the boat and get my canning done early in the year. The rest of the salmon I catch I can just vacuum pack and freeze for the grill or sashimi. I wouldn't do anything else with chums but smoke and can them but it sure is nice to get all the canning done early. I will admit that I sterotyped chums for a long time until I tried them. I also tried to smoke and can some pinks that we caught out of Seward but the skin is a pain to get off. I didn't really think they tasted all that bad but I will not go through scraping off the skin with a spoon again.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

For yrs I favored reds but over the last few yrs I have been really liking Kings, and Silvers. I think it's because they are bit more oily. Seems like when you bake reds they dry out easily too. I think right now I would pick Silvers. Reds however seem to be the favorite with most people.

Default salmon

I have had good salmon from every species the fresher the better for pinks and chums but my freezer is filled each year with Copper River Reds. I don't bother to keep any others except for eating on the spot.

If blindfolded, could one tell the difference between a 'Copper River' red and say, a 'Newhalen' red or a 'Kenai' red? (I certainly couldn't.)

1. Kings
    2. Silvers
    3. Reds
    4. Tie....fresh Pinks And Chums:d

Thumbs up

feeder/winter kings
    silvers from the salt
    other kings
    bright river silvers
    reds (like 'em best canned)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Best salmon: The ones you catch yourself.

By Species:
    Reds
    Kings
    Silvers
    Fresh Ocean Shiney Chums

1. Reds
    2. Ocean-caught silvers
    3. River-caught silvers if bright
    4. Ocean-caught kings
    5. River-caught kings if bright
    6. Ocean-caught and iced Pinks (humpies)
    7. River-caught and iced Pinks

Nothing else is worth talking about...

For the dogs:

8. Chum (dog) salmon ...but very fun to catch

For the trash bin:

9. Anything farm raised, pellet fed, and artificially colored ...besides introducing disease and environment loss, what were they thinking when they invented this nutrition-free flavorless mush?

Some people differentiate between spring/summer/fall kings due to the differences in oil content, but I like them all about the same.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    For yrs I favored reds but over the last few yrs I have been really liking Kings, and Silvers. I think it's because they are bit more oily. Seems like when you bake reds they dry out easily too. I think right now I would pick Silvers. Reds however seem to be the favorite with most people.
    You need to try the recipe that I got from my friend Rick. We call it "Rick's Red Salmon" ...Mmmmmm ...and no drying out.

Brian

Heheee

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    OK I'll display my ignorance- Which species is the best eating Salmon?
    Down here salmon is salmon, and I know that's not the way it really is.
    Hhounds
    I only eat dime bright salmon of any kind

Reds

Kings

Silvers

Pinks

Chums
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Sockeye
    King
    Pink (if bright)
    Coho

Haven't had fresh chum...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Last year I dipped the Copper and Kenai and came home with a bunch of reds from both rivers. I tried both using the same recipe and my wife could even tell the difference. I'm not one to crave fresh salmon but I make an exception when it comes to reds from the Copper. No other salmon that I have tried beats a Copper River red in flavor. I find the meat sweater and less fishy than the Kenai Reds too. When we filleted the Copper reds the fillet was so oily it was tough to even grasp it with your hands.

I vacuum seal the Copper River reds, can the Kenai reds, and smoke everything else.

Default Any of 'em...

can be good, but obviously reds are king (pun intended)! It largely depends on 2 things:
    1. How good you take care of your catch (bleed immediately while they're alive)
    2. How you cook them; nothing worse than overcooked fish. For reds, no matter how we cook them, I get them off the heat EARLY, while still raw insided, they'll still cook a little after off the heat.
    Jim

I'd have to agree with Jim atleast on the care equaliing taste.

Dime bright sea run coho's are good, kinda mushy when frozen if kept from the rivers imho.

Kings and reds are awesome.   But like said dont over cook.For kings its as easy to over cook as it is to over cook your reds if it's a real hoss.  If it's big try butter flying it.  We also do this with red fillets and it works very very well. I dont quite pull mine off when they are not fullly cooked, but I do attempt to pull them off just a hair close to done, then undercooked. Overcooked fish, yuck.

Here's one for ya grillers to try.1/2c balsamic vin.1/2c white whine3tbsp brown sugarreduce 50-60% (it'll ticken up when it cools off, the thicker the better imho)add 2 tbsp diijon mustard1 lemon juiced or appx one tbsp concentrate maybe a bit lesswhisk these last two inBrush on fillets and grill brushing on more occasionally.For those who complain they dont like salmon this recipe has really been a convert.  I'm not into converting people into eating it.....this recipe is just that good!  now hopefully I didnt screw it up

Default OK, I'm in...

The white king...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Most people associate "good taste" in salmon with how much oil the flesh contains. An example are Copper River Reds, which are usually judged higher than other sockeye for that reason (their marketability doesn't hurt either - they are available before other sockeyes, and have a catchy name).

Not too long ago, at a seminar about salmon markets, I saw a chart ranking the 5 Pacific salmon species by how much oil they contain. No surprises here:

1) white chinook
    2) red chinook
    3) sockeye
    4) coho
    5) chum
    6) pink

White King.
    Reds
    Regular King
    Silvers
    Chum
    Pink

And I thought there was only five species of salmon.

Do you want your Red regular or unleaded?

Seems to me that for the sake of any newbies that we should stick five species of salmon.

Before "chum caught under the full moon on a leap year" becomes another variety of salmon.

--

The original question; Which species is the best eating Salmon? refers to the 5 species of salmon.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast